Wednesday, October 28, 2015

DAISY AND BARTHOLOMEW Q. REVIEW

Today it is my pleasure to introduce you to a most delightful cast of characters in DAISY AND BARTHOLOMEW Q., Author Margot Finke's latest story for children.

 
Synopsis:
Daisy suffers from procrastination—putting off until later, things she should do RIGHT NOW. Her mom nagged, but Daisy had not started the essay that was due tomorrow. Bartholomew Q. accepted no excuses. After muttering a magical mantra, he whisked Daisy off to find fabulous words for her essay. Who knew that Oogledorks, Dynoroars, and wild adventure could be found where adjectives and verbs hung out—not to mention trees that talked. And Black Crow? He was pure evil. Will Daisy gather wonderful words? Will she survive being kidnapped? Absolutely. The Green Fishbait and his henchmen have it under control!
 
My Review:
 
DAISY AND BARTHOLOMEW Q. Review
By Margot Finke
Illustrated by Ioana Zdralea
 
From the title of the first chapter, “Procrastination is a curse, yet green worms that surprise are worse,” in Award Winning Author Margot Finke’s new book, DAISY AND BARTHOLOMEW Q., I knew this story was going to be a fun read. I was not disappointed.
 
Daisy’s essay is due tomorrow and the teacher said the students have to use a thesaurus. Daisy has a problem using a thesaurus, so what’s a girl to do? Enter a bright Green Worm named Bartholomew Q. Bookworm (of course, what else could his name be?) to the rescue, and almost anything can happen and does. From the time he appears to help Daisy, there’s never a dull moment. The author has created delightful characters that will have young readers giggling and turning pages to see what happens next. Along the way, the readers just might learn a few new words, right along with Daisy, as they together, discover the magic of a thesaurus.
 
Cute black-and-white illustrations by Illustrator Ioana Zdralea add a whimsical touch to the story.  The question is, will Daisy complete her essay in time? Only Daisy and Bartholomew Q. know, and those who read Daisy’s story.
 
DAISY AND BARTHOLOMEW Q. would make a great addition to school libraries, school classrooms where the teacher and students can read the book together, public libraries, and of course your own personal library.
 
The author provided me with a PDF of the book for my honest review.
 ###
Available at:
 
Amazon  Powells (the link there says they're moving to a new website and temporarily unavailable) and other places.
 
 
 


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She sure did, Alex. And each character the reader meets adds to the fun of the story.

      Delete
  2. What an adorable cover! And I love the message behind this. In fact, a few adults (including me!) could learn from the lessons in this book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cover, Stephanie. Yes, I'm guilty of putting things off. Maybe I'll do better after reading Daisy's story. :)

      Delete
  3. haha the first line sure sounds fun. The names are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun read, Pat, and I learned a few new words too. :)

      Delete
  4. Bev, thanks so much for a wonderful review. I had so much fun writing Daisy. I just hope kid readers have fun reading it. . . and maybe learn a few new and interesting words! Books have always been my Magic Carpet to adventure, fun, and learning.

    Margot Finke
    http://www.margotfnke.com
    Skype Author Visits
    Books for Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Margot. It's a great story and kids should love it. There's plenty of adventure with Daisy.

      Delete
  5. Super cute! I have a 9 yr old who needs to learn that lesson. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of older readers, like me, need to learn that too, Crystal. :)

      Delete
  6. Crystal, I have a deal at the moment- Buy a soft cover 'DAISY,' and I will send you 'Dreamtime Man' FREE - both autographed!
    Postage on both only $3.00. eMail me - mfinke@frontier(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover is absolutely adorable! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your very positive comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing such a fun story, Margot, and for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a great book! I have been known to procrastinate, so I am afraid I may be able to relate to Daisy. Wishing Margot the best of luck. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks DMS. I thought you kind writers might like to know that I received my OSCAR paper PROOF copy from CreateSpace today, and I was not happy with it. They did wonderful work for me before with Dreamtime Man, and several mid-grade covers. However, the color in OSCAR is not the same as that of their CSP Proof- not in the illustrations I have. The illustrator, Ioana Zdrales, used creamy gray tones on the tree trunks, rocks etc, and yellow for splashes of light, bright color. Her contrasts and light were amazing. My copy arrived with a veil of pinky color over everything, even the green of the grass. They seem to have lost yellow and green. They have a pink Joey for heaven's sake. I am so disappointed. Have any of you had problems like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible, Margot. I've not dealt with CreateSpace, but it seems they should redo the work and get it right. Hope it all works out.

      Delete
    2. Beverly, my formatter and I are working on this right now.
      Fingers crossed!

      Delete
    3. Great. I hope the problem is resolved soon. Good luck.

      Delete
  11. Writing stories for children is so hard because they have to be really imaginative and crazy. This story sounds like it got a double dose of crazy! LOL! Wishing Margot much success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Lexa. Kids should have fun with Margot's story.

      Delete
  12. Thanks Lexa. Craazy fun and adventure about sums it up--plus a dose of super fun new words for Daisy and readers to learn about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a great read. I'll add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete