Monday, October 26, 2015

CRAFT SHOW, KIDS AND AWARDS

Quote for the week:  You must be the change you wish to see in the world. Mahatma Gandi

Have you ever sold books at a Craft Show? How'd it go? I have at our local library and at the Optimist Club. The Craft Shows are fundraisers for the organizations, so the money goes for a good cause. I've had a booth the past couple of years. I don't sell a lot of books, but meeting the kids is priceless.

First, my teen books don't sell. Teens seldom attend these shows. So, my target market is the moms and dads of young children. I only have three picture books, but they are my best sellers.

I also give little trinkets away. Kids may not notice the books so much, but they like the finger puppets, and they don't even have to purchase a book to get one. The puppets are freebies, and more often than not, the parent will buy Frankie's Perfect Home. I have a large armadillo puppet that greets the parents and children as they pass my table. Most of them stop. At least for the freebie.

The show was fun. I made a little money. The best thing is I made some new friends.

Frankie says "Hi!"
A lot of the kids have never seen a live armadillo. Have you? We have them in our pasture. They're weird little animals.
 
One more thing is on my mind. I've been very fortunate to have wonderful publishers that believed in my work. I don't talk about my own stories often, but I just have to share recent happenings with you.
 
STAR OF THE TEAM, my MG contemporary story, won Gold in the 2015 Children's Literary Classics Awards, Fiction Preteen Category. Thanks to my granddaughter and her friends, the inspiration for this story. 
 
I LIVE IN A DOGHOUSE, another MG contemporary story, won Silver in the 2015 Children's Literary Classics Awards, General Preteen Category. Thanks to a little voice that whispered his story in my ear.
 
 
Now, I'll crawl back to my computer and get busy.
 
Happy Reading!
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Awesome, congrats on the two wins. Nothing wrong with new friends and a little money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the book awards, Beverly! Very exciting!!

    I've been wondering about craft shows myself so am glad to hear you made some money and found it worthwhile. When I was in college, we had to wait in line to purchase our student football tickets. One year, a kid in line near me had a stuffed armadillo with him. They are goofy creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armadillos are unique little animals, Karin. Not exactly cute and I don't think they're recommended for pets. They fascinate me, but I'll keep my cats.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!
    I don't have any kids books, so that's probably not an option for me. Glad it works so well for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. Adults might buy books for adults, but they seem to purchase jewelry and home baked goods, and this show had a lot of Christmas decorations that sold, I noticed.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the awards! How exciting. I also loved hearing about selling books at craft fairs, as I have never been in that situation. Awesome that you are making friends and making some money. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. The main thing is I'm having fun. :)

      Delete
  5. Great post, Beverly. Love your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wanda. It's so nice to hear from you. Hope you have another book out soon.

      Delete
  6. I've never signed at a craft show. I do local author fairs though. I sell a good amount of picture books at those as well. I think picture books sell better in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Kelly. We don't have author fairs around here. This area is not very author friendly.

      Delete
  7. Yay for the gold and silver. I've never been to a craft show. I'm glad you got sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Medeia. I've been to several and this was the best one. The teen books don't sell, but parents buy for the little ones. At least that was my experience.

      Delete