Wednesday, September 9, 2015

TEDDY BEAR DAY

Welcome Wednesday. Did you know that today is Teddy Bear Day? You didn't? Well, it is. So what can you do on Teddy Bear Day?

1. You can snuggle with your Teddy Bear. If you don't have one, why not?

2. You can read to your Teddy Bear. Of course he/she would like to hear a story about Teddy Bears.

3. You can give a child you know a Teddy Bear.

Where did the Teddy Bear come from, anyway?

The story goes that in the early 1900s, when Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt was President of the United States, he went hunting in Mississippi and would not shoot a small bear. The Washington Post got hold of the story and made a cartoon of it. Morris and Rose Michtom, toy store owners, wrote President Roosevelt for permission to call their stuffed animals "Teddy Bears." The bears were very popular and the company became the Ideal Toy Company, one of the largest toy companies in the world.

And now you know.

Think I'll see if my Teddy Bear wants to read or watch TV.

 
Happy Reading!

16 comments:

  1. I knew it was named after the president, but not why. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learn something new everyday, don't we, Alex. I didn't know this either until I read about it.

      Delete
  2. Never knew that is where it came from. I think I'll stick to talking to cats over teddy bears though lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh darn...I don't have a teddy bear. Can I snuggle with my dog instead? She's soft like a teddy bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snuggling with your dog would be perfect, Stephanie. Dogs snuggle back.

      Delete
  4. Great history lesson, Beverly, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. The "little" things are sometimes fun.

      Delete
  5. Yay for Teddy Bear Day! I have to admit I have a lovely white one that sits on the corner of my bed and "watches over me" when I sleep. Thanks for the info! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so cute, Lexa. Have a great week too.

      Delete
  6. I knew it was from Roosevelt, but didn't know the whole story. Teddy bears are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I learnt something new:) I will definitely snuggle with my Teddy Bear tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so nice, Murees. I bet your Teddy Bear will be happy. :)

      Delete
  8. I had no idea about National Teddy Bear Day. Sounds like a nice day to stay inside and read and snuggle. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about it either, Jess, until I ran across it on the Internet.

      Delete