Friday, September 11, 2015

GRANDPARENTS DAY ON SEPTEMBER 13

Friday Fun. Okay, I'm a couple of days ahead of myself, but since I seldom post on Sundays, I'm posting ahead of time. September 13 is National Grandparents Day. The day is celebrated on the first Sunday in September after Labor Day. It is an observance, not a public holiday.

The day has more than one origin. Whichever one is right, the day was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter in 1978.

The official song for Grandparents Day is "A Song for Grandma and Grandpa"  by Johnny Prill. The official flower is the forget-me-not. Now aren't you glad you stopped by today?

If you have grandparents or a grandparent or someone you love like a grandparent, send them flowers or cards or give them a phone call.

My grandparents are all with their ancestors now. This is a photo of the grandparents on my dad's side of the family.
Yep, that's me with them.
Happy Grandparents Day
Clara and Soley Stowe!
 
I have no pictures of my mother's parents. She was raised by a foster family, and to me, they were my grandparents.
My grandfather on Mom's side.
 
 
My grandmother on Mom's side.
Mom is the girl.
The boy is a grandson, I think.
Happy Grandparents Day to a kind family that gave my mother a home.
 
Next week, I have some reviews and book news.
 
Happy Reading!
 

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Beverly, though I won't be remembered by mine.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Yeah, I know what you mean. I may hear from mine, or maybe not.

      Delete
  2. I have a grandmother still alive, rest all passed long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One grandmother is nice, Pat. Better than none.

      Delete
  3. All of my grandparents are gone as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The years do go by, Alex. I have memories of my grandparents though.

      Delete
  4. I thought grandparents' day was a Hallmark-created holiday! I still haven't figured out what "Sweetest Day" is."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallmark might have had something to do with it, Stephanie. A good way to sell cards and flowers. :) I don't know about "Sweetest Day" either.

      Delete
  5. Ah, this is never on my calendar and I'm not prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about it too, Kelly, until I did a Google search for holidays.

      Delete
  6. I love your old pictures here. It's good to remember our roots & fun being a grandparent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I'm blessed to have quite a few old family pictures. They were my mothers.

      Delete
  7. Fascinating history information and love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I enjoy genealogy, just wish I had more time for it.

      Delete
  8. I love that pic of you when you were little. What a cutie!! I didn't realize they had foster families back then. Lucky your mom got a good one. Thanks for the info and the amazing pics! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. That picture was from many years ago. :) Yes, when they started sending children west, some of the children were adopted, others lived with foster families. I'll be talking about this soon. Hope you're having a super weekend too. Mine's been nice.

      Delete