Friday, September 25, 2015

GOOD NEWS!

Friday Fun! This week as been fun; it's also been yucky. Does anyone use that word anymore or am I lost in the past? No matter. I'm starting with the fun part: Good News.

I have a new contract. This story I've worked on for years. My poor crit partners gave me great advice. I rewrote lots of it. Had more suggestions. Then I sent it to an editor who probably thought I should choose another profession but was too kind to say so. She had a lot of advice, all of it very helpful.

When I started making changes, well, a lot changed. The characters were the same, but they were better developed. Each major character even had an ARC, gasp, imagine that. The title also changed.

So in the spring of 2016, after edits and all the other good stuff that goes with publishing a book, my YA contemporary novel, UNDER A PURPLE MOON, will be released. I can't believe it. I'm so excited.

 
Now the yucky part, which could have been yuckier.
 
I went to my van, ready to go to my dentist appointment, put the key in the ignition and turned it. Simple so far, right?

Instead of the engine starting, all of these lights lit up the dashboard. Now they do come on for a second when the van is started, but then they go out. These kept blinking at me. All but two finally went out. Those just glared at me, telling me they weren't going to let the van start, so there. Whoa! What did I do wrong. I turned the key off and tried again. Same thing happened.

Okay, time was wasting. I'd be late for my appointment so I'd better figure this out in a hurry. I got that huge owner's manual out of the glove compartment, found pictures of the two lights that stayed on. The oil light and the battery light. Decided I'd better call for help.

So I went inside the house, called the dealer where we bought the van and gave him my story. He said to have it towed over and they'd take a look. I called the roadside service, and a couple hours later a nice young man pushed the van up on this huge truck and drove away. I hoped I'd see the van again.

The story does have a happy ending, (if you've read this far). The next day the man at the dealership called. The van was fixed. I could pick it up. Yay! My son drove me over on his way to work. The van is now safely at home, with a new battery.

I love happy endings.

How has your week been?

Happy Reading!
 

18 comments:

  1. I had my battery run dry a few weeks ago, sucks indeed. Awesome news on the book though. Sometimes it does take plenty of edits, ugg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Pat. I'm thankful that's all that was wrong though. Yep, lots of edits, but the end result is worth it.

      Delete
  2. YAY!!! So excited to hear about the book contract. I love hearing that! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. I'm happy. Contracts are great. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the contract!
    Sorry about your van. Funny how a simple battery can take out a vehicle. Least it wasn't something serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. Yes, I'm thankful it was just the battery and nothing worse.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your new contract! Woohoo! That's wonderful news. And I think your van was just trying to save you from going to a dental appt -- because they're yucky! (See that word is still used! lol) Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. I'm excited. You know, I hadn't thought of that. It tried, but just delayed the dentist visit, unfortunately. :) Yes, you said "yucky." I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your YA book! I love the title. Sorry about your van but I'm glad it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. The title wasn't the original and it could be changed, but it came to me when one of the characters said something similar.
      Yes, I can't complain. The van's been a good one.

      Delete
  6. Congrats Beverly with you new contract.
    I still use the word "Yucky".
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Yay. Glad you do. I don't feel so weird now.

      Delete
  7. Vehicles problems always aggravate me. Congratulations on your contract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Medeia. The van's all fixed now though. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Woo hoo congratulations on your latest contract! I'm doing the Snoopy Dance for you! Glad the van made it okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you do the Snoopy Dance quite nicely, Donna. Thanks. I'm excited. Yes, the van is back in operation.

      Delete
  9. Yipppeee! I was hoping your good news was going to be another book contract! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Darby. I've worked on this one for a long time, many changes. Finally got it right. :)

      Delete