Wednesday, September 16, 2015

30 DAYS OF NO GOSSIP REVIEW

Do you remember your school years, especially Junior High or Middle School? If you do, I hope your memories are happy ones. If you don't, here's a neat book you should read to bring back those memories: 30 DAYS OF NO GOSSIP, by Author Stephanie Faris.

 
The Cover Says it All!
 
The middle school years are tough. Friendships are so important, and some kids will do most anything to have friends. Sometimes a girl may have the wrong idea about what a friend is.
 
 In 30 DAYS OF NO GOSSIP, middle grade/tween novel by Author Stephanie Faris, seventh grader Maddie Evans is Editor of the “Troy Tattler,” Troy Middle School’s unofficial gossip newsletter. If you want to know what’s going on in school or in other student’s lives, ask Maddie, AKA “the queen of gossip.” She just wants to be popular and she believes that gossiping about others is the way to do it. She even plays matchmaker for her best friend, Vi. But Vi has had enough, so she challenges Maddie to stop gossiping for 30 days. What follows is the story of a girl who discovers what makes a true friend.
 
The author has created characters that might be found in most any middle school in the country. I like Maddie because she’s so true-to-life. A seventh-grader’s heart is easily broken. Most everything is a major catastrophe at that age. I was really cheering her on to succeed in her attempts to do what her best friend asked of her. This book would make a great addition to middle school libraries, where young readers might see themselves or their friends in the same situation that Maddie and her friends are in. I highly recommend 30 DAYS OF NO GOSSIP. Moms and Dads might enjoy the story, too, and understand their children’s behavior a little better.
 
###
 
Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. Seems like a good book, my school days was so long away I can't remember much, only the not so good lessons..
    Great post Beverly enjoyed the read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great story, Yvonne. Reminded me of those middle school years. (Mine were a long time ago too.)

      Delete
  2. Awesome when a book can relate to everyone. I remember most of my school days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes kids do things their parents just don't understand, Pat. I think they'll enjoy this one. You're young so you should remember the good old days. :)

      Delete
  3. Stephanie will be happy to see this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book I've read that Stephanie wrote, Alex. It won't be the last. She's great.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Kai. I never had any daughters, but have 4 granddaughters so I can learn how young girls think. :)

      Delete
  5. I have read one of Stephanie's other books and look forward to reading this one too. Sounds like she got middle school just right. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story reminded me of my fifth-grade students, at times, Jess. So true to life. I want to read Stephanie's next one soon.

      Delete
  6. OMG, I've been doing writer's conference stuff since Thursday and just saw this. I'm so glad I did because it's my birthday and it was like getting a birthday present. Thank you! 30 Days will always be one of my favorites because it was my first. Plus...I think even adults would have trouble going 30 days without gossiping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Stephanie. Perfect timing. :) A writer's conference sounds like fun. I attended our North Texas one several years ago and enjoyed it. Met lots of nice writers. The first book is always so exciting, and you never forget the experience.
      You're probably right about adults not gossiping.

      Delete
  7. Sounds very sweet! A broken heart at that age is huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lee, heartbreaks start early. It is a story that a lot of girls can probably relate to.

      Delete
  8. I bought this book and 25 Roses for my daughter. I read 25 Roses and I'm waiting to read this one when my daughter is finished reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 25 Roses is on my list to read too, Kelly. I bet your daughter loves the story.

      Delete
  9. This one is on my TBR list. So is 20 Roses. I need to read more so I can get to these!

    ReplyDelete