Monday, August 10, 2015

RIPPLES IN THE INKWELL

Quote for the week:  Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for. Ray Bradbury


Today is also  the second Monday in August, which means it's Ripples in the Inkwell time.



Ripples in the Inkwell #inkripples is a new monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They’ll be posting on the second Monday of every month with a new topic. They’re all authors, but you don’t have to be to participate. Simply compose your post using the monthly theme,
grab one of the images, and link back to the three of them. Make sure to use #inkripples when you play along and promote your posts. The idea is that we toss a word, idea, or image into the inkwell and each post is a new ripple. There’s no wrong way to do it! If I can do it, you can too.

August's theme is Dog days/Things that drag you down

The themes for the rest of the year are:

September: Fall/School
October: Fears/Things That Go Bump in the Night
November: Remembrance /Thankfulness
December: Celebration /Gifts

So, what are things that drag you down, your dog days?


One of mine is the heat. With temperatures in the 100 + range, the only time to go outside and enjoy nature is early morning and late evening.

Another thing is the bugs. The crickets have been awful this year. They're in the house, as well as outside. The grasshoppers too are everywhere. Now I remind myself that they are food for the birds and maybe other critters. But I still don't like them.

Other than that, August isn't so bad. I like the sun still shining at 8:30 PM. I enjoy listening to the quail calling "Bob White, Bob White."

Oops! I'm supposed to be talking about Dog Days. The heat makes me kind of lazy and I put off doing things I should do. A nap sometimes is much better.

Enjoy your Dog Days. There is the autumn to look forward to.

Happy Reading!

22 comments:

  1. The heat does suck indeed inside, outside I don't mind it so much. Other crap that drags me down is dumb back pain lol sometimes literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I can relate to the back pain thing. Two back surgeries and a continual struggle to keep it strong. I'm sorry you have to deal, too.

      Delete
    2. Back problems are no fun for sure, Pat. Hope yours gets lots better.

      Delete
    3. I didn't know you had back surgery, Kai. Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  2. We had two hot sunny days now it's raining again,
    Great post Beverly interesting to read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Rain is good. It cools things off. Our temps are supposed to drop to the high 90s the next few days. I guess after 100+ that will be good.

      Delete
  3. The heat and the humidity together get me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, the humidity adds to the heat, Alex.

      Delete
  4. I like crickets, but don't like grasshoppers. Go figure. We BUY crickets for our lizard and often find escapees wandering around. Snatch it up and toss it back in with Blanco. You should get a lizard and let him roam the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lizards here and I guess they eat the crickets. There's just so many of them. They won't last when the weather cools off. I'm afraid a lizard wouldn't last long in my house, with two cats. :)

      Delete
  5. I like crickets outside, but not in the house. That sound can get to be annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My opinion exactly, Linda. Insects belong outside. Crickets are noisy little critters.

      Delete
  6. The ants are all over indoors. I can't stand that. The temps keep me inside during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ants are a nuisance too, Medeia. The fire ants are especially painful when they sting. Yes, I'm staying inside most of the time, except early morning and late evening when it cools down a bit. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The heat does make me feel draggy some days. I've been feeling yucky lately and someone said it's the change of seasons. She suggested acupuncture...but yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can just take all your energy, Stephanie. Acupuncture sounds extreme. Maybe more rest would work just as good. :)

      Delete
  9. Bugs in the house freak me out! Definitely a big downer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a love/hate relationship to heat. I love that makes my tomatoes ripen; I hate that it saps all my energy by 3PM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, Lee. There's nothing better than home-grown tomatoes and other veggies. Hot days are good nap days. :).

      Delete
  11. Neat idea, Beverly. I'll have to watch for this. Texas is sure in dog days right now. We were lucky to be in cool Red River, NM last week when we were having the 105 temps. Better this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it lovely and cool this morning, Janet. I ate breakfast in the back yard and it was great. Red River is a beautiful place. We used to go there some summers.

      Delete