Friday, July 17, 2015

LIFE WITHOUT THE INTERNET: A HORROR STORY

Friday Fun!
 
Yes, yes, yes, I'm back.  I've been without Internet Service for two weeks, but as of Thursday afternoon I'm back in business. I'm cross posting this from the Obscure Kid Lit Authors blog.
 
My horror story started one creepy Friday evening. I turned on my computer. I clicked on the blue “e” with the golden crown. The screen popped up. Blank, except for these words. You’re not connected to a network. Then it gave instructions how to fix the problem. Gasp. Nooooooooo! That can’t be. It worked earlier in the day. But now those little green lights on the modem in the window were winking at me.



Okay. I took several deep breaths. No big deal. It’s happened before. I’ll just unplug everything, wait a few minutes and plug it all back in. I paced the floor, thinking of all the stuff I needed to do on the Internet. A few minutes later, I connected all the wires and waited for Google to show up. No luck, so I tried again. Three times I tried. Those stupid green lights just danced and laughed (don’t say lights can’t talk. These were evil lights.)



I know when I’m beat, so I turned off the computer and told myself it would be all right tomorrow. The next day, however, I decided a wicked genie evidently cast a spell on my Internet Service. (To protect the innocent, I won’t  tell who it is/was, since I’ve since cancelled with them.) Since I was having no luck with making contact, I called the company and after I pushed the right numbers a few times, I finally talked to a very nice young man. He apologized and apologized, and assured me they were working on the tower and service would be restored in two to twenty-four hours. Well, that was 12 days ago.


I now have a different provider and the Internet was installed Thursday afternoon. I've enjoyed my afternoons at the library, using their WIFI. The ladies there are the nicest people.  I’ve been to the library almost every day. And you know what? I’ve enjoyed the quiet, the no interruptions, and the occasional child that wants to show me his/her toys and reminds me of why I write for children.


I also have discovered that life goes on without the Internet. My house is now much cleaner. You can almost see the flowers in the flowerbed where weeds once choked them out. I’m working on putting pictures in albums. I have a slew of them. And I’ve been writing, though slowly, which is just me.


Maybe I needed a break. Maybe I needed a reminder of the real world. Oh, but I miss the cyber world. Nice to be back.
 
What do you do when your Internet takes a vacation?


Happy Reading!
 





12 comments:

  1. It's a weird love/hate thing with the internet. We depend on it so much as authors, but time away can be so very productive and gives us a chance to reconnect with the world (and the cleaning supplies) in a refreshing way.

    Glad you're back, my friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Darby. I never realized how much time I spent on the Internet, until I didn't have it. Sometimes, a break from the routine is good. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have you back Beverly. I have been with out the Internet a few times and it's not a nice feeling..
    Have a lovely week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I'm glad to be back. I still have to get a wireless connector for my desk top but the lap top is good to go. You have a nice weekend too.

      Delete
  3. We can get so much done when it goes kaput, but my ocd keeps me up to date on everything, even cleaning, so all I have to do sometimes is watch tv when it goes out. Never gone out for 2 weeks though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Pat. I used to be more particular about how my house looked, but lately I prefer to do other fun things than to clean. :) I read a lot and wrote a couple of reviews. Now I can post them.

      Delete
  4. Sorry they never fixed it! Glad you're connected again.
    I've been mostly unplugged while on vacation and today is the first time I've ventured beyond my emails. I have to admit, it's been nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they figured it wasn't worth the time, Alex, since they've been bought by Sprint, I think, and will be out of business this fall. Glad you're enjoying your vacation.

      Delete
  5. I don't like being disconnected unless it's my choice. ;) I do take breaks sometimes, but it's intentional. When I lose my internet and I don't want to disconnect it's like a limb has been severed. It's a learned dependency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense, Kelly. We all need a change of pace at times, but I agree with you that we should be able to choose the time. :) Yep, it's addiction.

      Delete
  6. They were "evil lights" - you crack me up!! I had an internet provider break down once too, and it was almost a week till I got a new one. And twice my computer crashed and it took days to repair. It seems awful in the beginning, but you get used to it and find other ways to occupy yourself. (Though I cooked a lot instead of cleaning my house like you.) Glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time the lights looked very evil, Lexa. I suppose Internet problems and computer crashes are a part of the business. We work off our frustrations in various ways. :)

      Delete