Wednesday, July 1, 2015

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP

Today is the first Wednesday in July, and you know what that means. Yes, it's INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP day.



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!







Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.


Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of Insecure Writer's Support Group.

His awesome co-hosts for the July 1 posting of the IWSG will be Charity Bradford, S.A. Larsen, AJ, Tamara Narayan, Allison Gammons, and Tanya Miranda!


Today, I'd like to talk about persistence.


This is a garden spider that was in my garage. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but garden spiders are lovely. As long as they stay away from me. She had spun her web from the ceiling to the pickup. Well, you know what happened when the pickup was backed out of the garage.

Okay, you may be thinking "what on earth does a garden spider have to do with persistence?" I'll tell you. Hang in there.

When my son backed the pickup out of the garage, it destroyed the spider's web. I figured that was the last we'd see of her. A shame too, because they trap mosquitoes and other insects in their webs. I was wrong, however. The next day, she had spun another web. This one went from the ceiling to my van. Poor spider. She hadn't learned that was no good. So, yes, when I drove the van out of the garage, I destroyed her second web. I really felt bad about it and hoped she'd find a better place next time.

Day number three. Yep, you guessed it. She had spun a third web in a corner of the garage, and I thought it would be okay. I didn't notice that it was attached to the side of my van until I'd pulled the van out of the garage. Strike three and she was out. I haven't seen her since then.

The spider was persistent. Even though it did not work out to well for her, she kept trying.

She also made me think. When my writing is falling apart each day and the threads just don't hang together, I can try again the next day. And the next. And the next. Persistence. Maybe persistence will pay off better for me than it did for the spider. If not, well, I did my best. Maybe I should start over again.

I hope she found a good place for her web. I hope you all find the answers you need.

Happy reading.

21 comments:

  1. Very true, we just have to be persistent. Although maybe learn from our mistake too, like not tying a web to a vehicle lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tying a web to a vehicle is not good. :) Maybe the spider finally figured that out.

      Delete
  2. Persistence certainly pays, Beverly. Great post! Poor spider:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I've looked for the spider. Haven't found her.

      Delete
  3. Yay for persistence! I'm like that spider and don't give up, even though I haven't figured out how to be successful yet. I have a daddy-long-legs in a corner of my bathroom. I leave him there so he'll eat bugs. Although there are very few bugs in the house. I hope the poor thing doesn't starve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind. That's what I like about spiders: they eat bugs and we have a lot, here in the country.

      Delete
  4. That sure is a persistent little spider. We can all learn from nature. Never give up...even when we face hardships and setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point. Nature has a lot of lessons for us, if we just look.

      Delete
  5. That sure is a persistent little spider. We can all learn from nature. Never give up...even when we face hardships and setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just have to secure our stories to something other than your van!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Beverly, I agree Alex is awesome, did blurbs for 2 of my books.
    Not keen on spiders, though I did once write a poem about me being a spider..
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was an interesting poem. Spiders are not my favorite critters but they do so much good. I seldom kill one, except the poisonous ones.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful analogy, even if I'm not crazy about the spider's part in it. You had a sub-lesson in tolerance in your story that I'd like to point out - since I would've kilt me that spider on the first day :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, poor spider. I'll warn them to stay away from you. :) I kill the ones that are poisonous.

      Delete
  9. Ah! I'm with you on spiders as long as they stay away from me. It's amazing what they can create by being persistent. Good luck, and keep writing. It will pay off. It always does for those who don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Charity. Keep their distance works for me. Spiders don't give up easily. Neither do writers. :) Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Oh, yes, Beverly, persistence is the key. We can never give up because we must write, so we must also promote because we like others to read what we write. I don't care for spiders, but I can kill one. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you might say we're addicted to writing, which leads to promotion. :)

      Delete
  11. Sometimes we have to take a few steps back and try threading in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Diane. I get lost quite often. :)

      Delete