Wednesday, June 3, 2015

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP & WRITER'S REBEL CREED

This is the first Wednesday of June and that means it's INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP day.



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

Awesome Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG. His awesome co-hosts for the June 3 posting of the IWSG will be M. Pax, Tracy Jo, Patricia Lynne, Rachna Chhabria, Feather Stone, and Randi Lee!


 
Today I'd like to talk about "Me Time." Lately, I cannot seem to accomplish anything. I work on "this" a little and "that" a little and "something else" a little.  Nothing ever gets "finished."
 
I make a schedule of what I hope to do each day. At nighttime, most of it hasn't been done. But I stayed busy all day. So what am I doing wrong?
 
One day, that little old light bulb went off in my brain. A person can do more than one thing a day, yes. When I was teaching, I taught reading, spelling, and science to my students each day. And everything was done, not in one day though.  We also took breaks. After lunch we went outside for recess and forgot about our lessons for a while. Sometimes, in science class I'd take the kids outside and we'd look at the clouds or the insects or flowers. Whatever we were studying. We did not sit at a desk all the time. We experienced the world we were learning about. I needed to experience the world I was writing about, whether the present world or the past.
 
So, I'm changing my schedule and allowing "Me Time" each day. I may go for a walk with my cat. I may dig weeds out of the flowerbed. I may play the piano and listen to Beethoven or Elvis. "Me Time" will not include thinking about a story or reading a book to review. "Me Time" will be living.
Do you ever feel overwhelmed, like you'll never finish anything? If you do, take a little "Me Time." See how it works.





Today is also WRITER'S REBEL CREED.
Sheri Larsen started this, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

I'm working on "Trust my gut." A story I want to write keeps changing. I think I need to go back to the original idea. Good. That's decided.

The above might lead to "Writing out of my comfort zone." Not sure.

Revisions are beautiful

How are you doing with your Writer's Rebel Creed?

That's all I have for now.

Happy Reading.
 
 
 

34 comments:

  1. I've got the 10 things on the go at once stuff too, but I always take me time, the cat demands it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat can be demanding. We might as well listen to them, since they're usually right. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you totally! I turned down the chance to take a walk around the pond with the dog last night because I had too much work to do. I should consider that me time and do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, walk with the dog today. Sometimes when I'm walking with the cat (yeah, he likes to walk) good ideas to help me with a writing problem happen. So take your me time.

      Delete
  3. I take a little me time every day, even if it's just to practice my guitar or go somewhere with my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great light bulb moment and a good reminder for everyone! I get stuck in the swirl too. Have a great IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. Yes, it's nice to have one of those moments now and then.

      Delete
  5. Me time is important. We can't write or do chores all the time. Sometimes we need to relax and de-stress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to write it down to make it work. Nice creed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea, Beverly! It most certainly will help to keep you balanced and focused, plus give you some quality time with the kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kai. I've finally realized if something doesn't get done today, it can be done tomorrow. And if there is no tomorrow, it won't matter. (My mother used to tell me that.)

      Delete
  8. I SO need some "me time." But the list of to-do's gets longer every day. How I wish there were two of me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your to-do list, Lexa. Some days I don't find time for "me time," but I'm trying. It sure relaxes me to work in the yard or play the piano or even watch TV. You can do it. :)

      Delete
  9. I've been overwhelmed for the past 10 years! LOL

    A visit from my husband's parents last month reminded me how much fun it was to get out and relax. Go places, play games, go for walks. I want to do more of that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten years, huh? I'd say it's time for you to have some "me time," Diane. Here's to more "fun time" for you.

      Delete
  10. What a great post!I like the idea of taking more me time and thinking about school and moving around and switching subjects is a good reminder/advice for all of us. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. I'm hoping taking me time each day will help with my writing that I seem to be stuck on. Maybe relax me so my brain will work again.

      Delete
  11. Every day I take time to either lounge quietly or watch Youtube videos--things that are not taxing in the least. It's a needed break. These breaks are brief. I'd like to take longer ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Medeia. Even short breaks help. Sometimes mine last a little longer than I planned. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi, Beverly! That Rebel Creed is a good reminder to keep track and move out of comfort zones. Cool!

    My Me Time would involve taking long walks at the park or reading books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, SittieCates. Sheri had a good idea there.
      Long walks, enjoying the birds and flowers, work for me too.

      Delete
  13. Me time is so important! We need to refresh our minds and take care of ourselves before we can produce our best writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Julie. Our minds need time to rest and think of other things besides writing. Going outside to the beautiful world and even pulling weeds helps me.

      Delete
  14. When I get overwhelmed, Me Time is vital. Otherwise I just keep burying myself and nothing gets done.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Patricia. That's what was happening to me. I worked on my stories, but they went nowhere. Now, with me time, my brain can think again. :)

      Delete
  15. This is such a great idea. I took Me Time yesterday and it was lovely. I didn't even feel guilty about losing the work time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. We shouldn't feel guilty about taking time to ourselves, Kelly. The work will still be there. Glad you had a lovely "me time."

      Delete
  16. Love this, Beverly. I forget to schedule time for myself, too. Believe me, with all there is to do for a writer with writing & promoting, if we don't schedule time, we won't find any. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. You're right, so now in my list of things to do each day I add Me Time. You're welcome.

      Delete
  17. Great post, Beverly! I so agree...I do the same with a little of this and a little of that and stay constantly busy but never quite accomplish what I set out to finish and always wonder how the time has run out of each day. I love the idea of "Me Time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. Maybe it will work for both of us. I need to stop spinning my wheels and finish something. :) Have a great weekend.

      Delete