Monday, June 1, 2015

HISTORICAL OR HYSTERICAL

I saw this quotation in our local newspaper and it's telling me to post it. So I am, and I think I'll have a quote each Monday. Now don't say I didn't warn you.

Open your eyes to the beauty around you.
Open your mind to the wonders of life.
Open your heart to those who love you.
And always be true to yourself.

Maya Angelou

I'm on a historical or hysterical high at the moment. My former teachers would never believe the historical part. History was not my favorite subject. They might believe the hysterical. It's amazing how a few, okay a lot of, years can change a person. Today, history fascinates me. I've even written a couple of historical (I hope they're not hysterical) books.

A Family for Leona is a middle grade story about the Orphan Trains. It is due out sometimes this year. Waiting for a cover and I'm not sure what else. If you haven't heard of the Orphan Trains, I think you'll find this part of America's history interesting.

Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is a young adult novel about the Civil War at Vicksburg, Mississippi. It's not a new book, but since 2015 is the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War, I'm remembering the things I learned about the war, especially at Vicksburg, when I was researching this story. I visited the town and the battlefield too. If any of the caves the people lived in are still around, they're on private property so I didn't get to see the caves.


The Civil War began when the Confederates bombarded Union  soldiers at Fort Sumter, South Carolina, on April 12, 1861.

The Confederates surrendered Vicksburg on July 4, 1863.

Robert E. Lee's forces retreated from Gettysburg the same day.

Lee surrendered the last major Confederate Army to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1865.

Thanks for letting me indulge my love of history.

Happy Reading.

18 comments:

  1. I never cared for history much in school either, but the older one gets the more intriguing it seems. And yeah, hopefully history and hysterical don't get mixed up lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat, not that you're that old, but age has a tendency to open our eyes to things we missed when we were younger.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I enjoy history now, both fiction and non fiction, Jolie. Have a whole shelf full of historical works.

      Delete
  3. My husband loves history. He taught it for years before becoming an administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Kelly. A good teacher can make history come alive and I bet your husband was a good one. :)

      Delete
  4. History fascinates me too. Especially ancient history. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Chrys! Another history lover. It took me years to say that about myself.

      Delete
  5. I live in an area with a lot of Civil War history and it is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an exciting place to live, Alex. Texas wasn't that involved in the war, at least the area where I live.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE history. It's seriously so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another history lover, Anne Marie. Great. I wasn't always one, until I started working on my family's genealogy and discovered that the people in the history books were real. They had lives like people today, minus the modern gadgets, and that's what I found so interesting.

      Delete
  7. History has never been my thing either, Beverly, but it is a beautiful quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, someday when you're older, Karin, you may discover history's interesting, the way I have. I used to hate it. Who cared what explorer discovered what and when? Not me. :)

      Delete
  8. Nothing wrong with learning a little about history! I appreciate it more the older I get. I wish we could go back and learn all that history we learned in school when we're old enough to really "get" why it's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Stephanie. History made no sense to me in school. Now I understand. When our 5th graders read Number the Stars about WWII, we did a lot of research before reading the book so they'd have an idea what it was all about. The kids did a great job on reporting what they learned about the war.

      Delete
  9. Hi Beverly I love history, too. And, I love historical fiction. A Family for Leona sounds like it is going to be a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. It's a very personal story for me, even though a lot of it is fiction, the background is real. :)

      Delete