Monday, June 22, 2015

DRAGON OF THE STARS AND CASSA TRILOGY RELEASE

Quote for the week: I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something. Neil Gaiman


Today I have the pleasure of hosting Author Alex J. Cavanaugh and his latest novel, DRAGON OF THE STARS. Take a look at this cover.


What can I say? It's gorgeous.
 
 
Dragon of the Stars
By Alex J. Cavanaugh
Science Fiction – Space Opera/Adventure/Military
Print ISBN 9781939844064 EBook ISBN 9781939844057
What Are the Kargrandes? http://whatarethekargrandes.com/
 
The ship of legends…
 
The future is set for Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, son of a Hyrathian Duke. Poised to secure his own command and marriage to the queen’s daughter, he’ll stop at nothing to achieve his goals.
 
But when the Alliance denies Hyrath’s claim on the planet of Kavil and declares war on their world, Aden finds his plans in disarray. Entrenched in battle and told he won’t make captain, Aden’s world begins to collapse. How will he salvage his career and future during Hyrath’s darkest hour?
 
One chance remains–the Dragon. Lost many years prior, the legendary ship’s unique weapon is Hyrath’s only hope. Can Aden find the Dragon, save his people, and prove he’s capable of commanding his own ship?
 
 
Purchase:
 

 
 
 
Now, let's hear what Alex J. Cavanaugh has to say about writing.
 
 
The Best and Worst of Writing
 
Everyone has a favorite aspect about writing. Something that is fun and easy. Something that places us in the zone.
 
Of course that means there’s something about writing that we loath. (That seems a bit harsh. Strongly dislike? No, we’ll stick with loath!) It’s that one part that drives us crazy.
 
So, I’m going to share with you the best and worst of writing for me. Maybe you can relate.
 
My least favorite – the first draft.
 
That’s right! The first draft. Most writers are excited at that point. They have a shiny new idea and the words are flowing. Not this writer. I’ve prepped with a very extensive outline, but that doesn’t make it any easier. I struggle to get my thoughts onto the screen. Add to the fact I am a slow typist (350 words per hour, tops) and the painful process just drags on forever. There is only one thing that offsets the torture…
 
My most favorite – revisions.
 
Some of you are moaning already. But it really is my favorite part. Once those words are out of my head and on the page, I can do something with them. And after outlining to death, it’s not a giant mess. It is the bare bones, but I can see what I’m doing and flesh the story out. This where it’s real to me. This is where I can see the overall story and feel good about it.
 
What’s the best and worst things about writing for you?

 
 
About the Author:
 
Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design, graphics, and technical editing. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. He’s the author of Amazon Best-Sellers CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm.


 
 
Thank you, Alex, for sharing your thoughts with us today.
 
 
Now get your copy of DRAGON OF THE STARS, Everyone.
 
 
Wait! There's More! Three in One!

 
Release date - June 22 2015
 
CassaSeries
By Alex J. Cavanaugh 
ISBN 9781939844118
Price - $5.99 eBook boxed set
Science fiction/adventure (FIC028010) and science fiction/space opera (FIC028030)
 
The Amazon Best-Selling Series!
 
CassaStar - Few options remain for Byron. Slated to train as a Cosbolt pilot, Byron is determined to prove his worth to his instructor, Bassa. As war brews on the edge of space, Bassa must make a decision that could decide the fate of both men. Will their skills be enough as they embark on a mission destined to stretch their abilities to the limit?
 
CassaFire - Byron’s days of piloting Cosbolt fighters behind him, the detection of alien ruins sends him to the planet of Tgren. Forced to train a Tgren named Athee and deal with an eager young scientist, he feels invaded. Tensions mount as the ruins reveal a potential weapon, plunging him further into the chaos. All Byron wanted was his privacy…
 
CassaStorm - Commanding the base on Tgren, Byron watches as a galaxy-wide war encroaches upon the planet. When the war hits Tgren, it triggers nightmares in his son. The ancient alien ship begins transmitting a deadly code and the probe that almost destroyed Tgren twenty years ago returns. The storm is about to break, and Byron is caught in the middle…
 
Find it here:
 
Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design, graphics, and technical editing. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. He’s the author of Amazon Best-Sellers CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm.


Happy Reading!
 




78 comments:

  1. Some great advice and post... thank you! Alex has had a lot of success, but I hate the editing outside the first draft, but that is some sound sharing...

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex does a very nice job with his editing, Jeremy. The proof is in his published books. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Beverly!

    Jeremy, I'm fortunate that editing is enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Alex. I'm going to try to like editing better now.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate hearing your worst and best. The first step is getting out of our heads and taking our notes and outlines and putting it all together. The excitement of the new story is fun the making it into a full story through revisions isn't as much fun for me. It's a matter of perspective and you've made me look at it in a different way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sia, I just have a hard time getting my vision down on paper, which is probably why I don't like the first draft much.

      Delete
  4. Ugg, editing is what I hate. Such a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably have the most fun with the first drafts, because I don't have to worry about how bad the words sound. But revisions are a love/hate thing for me. I hate trying to force the words to say what I want them to mean, but at the same time, when I do finally get the words right, it feels great to know I've accomplished something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should switch - you write the first drafts and I'll edit.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha. Alex has a great idea, Chemist.

      Delete
  6. First drafts used to be my favorite part and then I hated revisions. But now I've come around to Alex's way of thinking. Maybe because I know my first drafts are dreadful and fixing them gives me a lot of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I most love research and revising, particularly when I'm revising a book I wrote or last revised years ago. It's like getting to write it all over again. The hardest part is starting out with a book which desperately needs radical revising and restructuring. After I've figured out the game plan, it becomes much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radical revising. Sounds like my WIP, Carrie-Anne. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Rough drafts are almost painful me to do, while editing is a cinch. Rewrite's my favorite stage, though, because it's the closest I get to how people imagine the writing process to be. (Inspired, never stuck, and on a roll until it's done.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seeing Alex on a lot of blogs today. :)

    What's funny is that my worst and best of writing is switched. The best for me is the first draft. The worst is editing/revising only because it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall with all of the rounds I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you want to revise my work, since you like revising so much? ;0) That's good that you like revising, though. It's the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I would probably do something horrible to your kids books!

      Delete
  11. Making notes, outlining my story, and developing my character before I even begin my first draft is my favorite part. Hands down, editing and revision are my least favorite and that's me being nice about it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Except for editing, everything about writing is tolerable. Editing is the monster I am most scared of :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing does seem like a monster sometimes, Nilanjana.

      Delete
  13. I'm the opposite of you, Alex. I love first drafts and I have to push myself to get through revisions.

    Great Gaiman quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing both authors best of luck with their books. Especially Alex he was kind to write on the blurb on two of my books.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, Alex! I used to love first drafts, but over the years I think I like revisions more. That blank page can be quite scary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great seeing Alex here. I love revising since I see the story take a better shape, but editing is the hardest part for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to really see that in the first draft.

      Delete
    2. It is fun to see the story taking shape like you want it to, Medeia.

      Delete
  17. Hadn't thought about it in best and worst terms like this. Sometimes it depends on the project - if I get stuck in the early stages, then when I finally get to the revisions it seems like a breeze. :) Thanks for the food for thought, Alex. Thanks Beverly, for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Karen. Alex is fun to host.

      Delete
  18. I don't think there's any part of the writing process I don't like. I enjoy getting the first draft down because, as a pantser, it's exciting seeing where the story goes. Editing is easier and improves the story, so I don't mind doing that either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. For me, the worst part about writing is when I'm convinced my story is just great, so far. Then someone wise and kind gives me some harsh truth. Sure, I rewrite and edit and make my story better, but my faith in my perspective of my own work is deeply shaken.

    If Dragon of the Stars is anywhere near as exciting as CassaStar, then I will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does hurt to see our precious words criticized, Helena. Kind advice usually makes the story better, at least for me.

      Delete
  20. I'm better at the writing part. I can get a lot of words on paper in a short time once I sit down to write. Revisions take me forever, though, because I'm straining to not just jump into writing the next project. Some day I'll find the happy middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Shannon. I wish I could write faster, but I'm slooooww.

      Delete
  21. I enjoyed reading this Alex and Beverly. I'm with you Alex, I don't enjoy first drafts, I enjoy later drafts and love editing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to Alex! I love drafting but revising is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to love everything about writing, Kelly. That's the reason you're so good at it and turn out so many novels.

      Delete
  23. The worst part of writing for me is the part where you have to stop doing other stuff and just sit down and go to work. Once I'm there and have the document up on the screen, I can go like a house afire. I need one of those working dogs that can be trained to herd me toward my computer desk. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dog to herd you to the computer, Patricia. A great idea. :)

      Delete
  24. I enjoy both, but often my thoughts go faster than my fingers can type during the first draft,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you look at the screen and see a foreign language, L. Diane. :)

      Delete
  25. I got a kick out of this, Alex! I hate that first draft, but I love revising. As for an outline, I'm terrible at that! Great quote, Beverly, and thanks for hosting Alex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fundy. Neil Gaiman has good thoughts.
      Alex is great to host. Such an interesting answer to my questions.

      Delete
    2. Fundy, good to hear I'm not alone!

      Delete
  26. Love the Neil Gaiman quote!

    Great to hear from Alex. I am not with him on loving the revisions. I do love when they are done though. :) Wishing him all the best!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's when I like revisions, Jess. When they're done. :)

      Delete
  27. That is a great quote. So anytime I make a mistake I can just say that I am trying new things?

    Alex is the ninja General.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Powdered Toast Man, according to Neil Gaiman.

      Delete
    2. PTM, yes you can. Except in Virginia. One of those weird state laws.

      Delete
  28. Your least favorite and most favorite are also my least favorite and most favorite. I love the revision part of the process. :)

    Congratulations on your newest release and your new boxed set!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on the release of Alex's series!! I prefer revisions over drafting, but pretty much dislike both and just love finishing.
    “I hate writing, I love having written.” ― Dorothy Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wish I could channel some of your revision energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is amazing, isn't he, Deniz. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete