Monday, June 29, 2015

CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES

Quote for the Week:  Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a  shadow. Helen Keller.

A new week begins. I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Would you believe June is almost over? Where do the days go? As we live in the present and look forward to the future, we also look back in history and hopefully learn from our mistakes. Today, I'm talking about my YA historical novel CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES.







From the back cover:  Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is the story of Elizabeth (Lizzie) Stamford and her family's daily struggle to survive a changing way of life during the American Civil War. This is a story of fear, courage and understanding that people, no matter where they live, have the same needs: love, peace and security.









Excerpt: This is a letter 14-year-old Lizzie is writing to her brother.

Vicksburg, Mississippi
Thursday, May 21, 1863

Dearest Brother Willie,

We went to the cave for the first time today-Mama, Nat, and I. And I hate it! I prefer to risk injury from the hissing, screaming shells in my house than to scurry underground like a scared rabbit. Papa is at the hospital, attending the sick and wounded. We see him so seldom these days. Sometimes I wish he was not a doctor. Then he could stay home with us, where he belongs.

I hate what this war has done to our family. You and Joseph are far away, in Virginia. I miss you all terribly. Mama worries about you. She worries about Papa. She scarcely lets me out of her sight. Most of my friends have left Vicksburg for safer places. The ones remaining are living in caves or basements. I'm supposed to watch Nat. Mama fears he will run away to find you. I know he shan't do such a thing. Every time a shell falls, he hides. The war confuses gentle Nat. He does not comprehend why men kill each other. Neither do I.

###

Reviews:

"...McClure balances emotions of the Confederate and Yankee characters with such in-depth feeling the reader will find himself switching sides throughout the perilous journey of Lizzie Stamford and her family and their quest to reclaim Vicksburg." Donna M. McDine, author of The Golden Pathway and other award winning books.

"Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is a thought-provoking young adult historical novel. ... I enjoyed reading this novel and felt transported to another time and place each time I picked it up to read another chapter." Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz, author of Ghost for Rent and other novels.

###


If you enjoy historical fiction, take a look at CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES

Available at Amazon, Kindle just $2.95

Barnes & Noble, Nook $2.99

and other places where eBooks and print are sold.


A quick fun story. At a signing I had when the book first came out, an elderly gentleman walked up, looked at the book and asked me what a crinoline was. I just happened to be wearing a dress from the time period, so I swirled around and showed him my crinoline. We both laughed. Now he knows what a crinoline is.

Happy Reading.


10 comments:

  1. Some great reviews on there indeed. Now I know what a crinoline is too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something everyone should know, Pat. Right? :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome reviews, Beverly! Congratulations!

    I didn't know those period dresses were called crinolines. You taught me something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys. Actually, it's the petticoat underneath the dress that's the crinoline. It makes the dress stand out. Not as much as the hoop skirt does, and I really like those, but it makes the skirt fuller.

      Delete
  3. Great reviews! And now I know what a crinoline is as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when that information might come in handy, Alex. :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent post and reviews made great reading Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. There are a lot more reviews, but I used the ones from the book cover.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea to dress up like that for the signing. :)

    ReplyDelete