Wednesday, May 6, 2015

SUPER BAD REVIEW, IWSG, & WRITER'S REBEL

Busy Wednesday. First of all, today is the book birthday of Kai Strand's YA novel, SUPER BAD - SVA #3

The world is in chaos. Violence and thievery reign. And with the supers still balanced, it’s only getting worse. Without good versus evil, the supers care less and less. In order to restore purpose, the world needs its super heroes and its super villains, but the one who balanced them in the first place is missing.

Sandra’s concern over finding her brother Jeff, isn’t her only problem. Her pathetic excuse for super powers has left her needing a new ankle. And though she’s still very much committed to her boyfriend, Source, she’s growing unreasonably attracted to Set, the boy who double crossed Jeff by stealing his 
girlfriend.


When Sandra is taken and held as bait by some kids who want to unbalance the super world, it becomes the inciting event that changes things for supers everywhere and forces them to answer the question, “Hero or villain?”


Available in print or ebook:
King of Bad Book 1 - Whiskey Creek PressAmazonBarnes and Noble
Polar Opposites Book 2 - Whiskey Creek PressAmazonBarnes & Noble


SUPER BAD (Super Villain Academy Book 3) My Review

By Kai Strand

 

Have you ever dreamed of being a superhero? Of saving lives or of doing good in the world? Maybe being a supervillain and causing trouble is more to your taste. What if you could be a little of both?  Fun, huh?

SUPER BAD (SUPER VILLAIN ACADEMY BOOK 3) by Author Kai Strand has both superheroes and supervillains.  After the supers were balanced there were no heroes or villains. This should have been great, right? Well, it didn’t work out quite the way they’d expected. The world is out of control, and the only way to solve the problem is to unbalance the supers. If they only knew how. Polar (Jeff) and Mystic are causing trouble of their own. Jeff’s sister, Sandra, and her boyfriend, Source, are searching for the answer and not having much luck finding it.

SUPER BAD is loaded with action, humor, and romance, the superhero kind, which is a bit different because of the powers the characters have. You’ll see what I mean when you read the novel. Ms. Strand makes her characters come to life. They’re never dull and often do the unexpected. Sometimes they act like normal teens, if you overlook the flying and fire and other powers that normal teens do not have.

Although this novel can stand alone, you might want to read the first two books in the series to make yourself familiar with the characters and what’s happened before. Either way, you’re in for an exciting ride with Jeff and the other superheroes. Told from different point of view characters you get to see inside the heads of the major players. Sometimes that’s a bit scary.

So pick up a copy of SUPER BAD and see what teens with super powers are like. And do you really want to be one of them?

The author provided me with an ARC of the novel for my honest review.

###  

Next: It's the first Wednesday in May, and you know what that means.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
 
Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
Alex J Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG. His awesome co-hosts for the May 6 posting of the IWSG will be Eva Solar, Melanie Schulz, Lisa-Buie Collard, and Stephen Tremp!

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

I do have some insecurities, like waiting for a publisher to say they want my story. In the meantime, I've decided not to sweat the small stuff. In 1997, Richard Carlson wrote the book, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and followed it up with It's all Small Stuff. In 2006, he wrote What About the Big Stuff?

So, anyway, I'm taking his advice and am not going to worry about the small stuff. What is the small stuff? Whatever I say it is. And the big stuff is working on my next story and promoting the ones I already have.

How about you? What is your Big Stuff?

And third, but not least, this is also my Writer's Rebel Creed.


I definitely am accepting my flaws. They're pretty obvious.

I'm also trying to trust my gut on a new story I've started. Have several different ways it can go. I know my first choice, but am debating whether it's the best one or not.

Reading lots of books and reviewing.

Revisions are beautiful, at least the end results are.



Happy Reading and Writing



24 comments:

  1. It's all about the climb. (Yes, I just quoted a Miley Cyrus song!) I find, looking back, that every step of my journey was part of making me a better writer so that when I did finally sell a book, I was ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Stephanie. We learn from experience to prepare us for what lies ahead. And the song is great, even sung by Miley Cyrus. :)

      Delete
  2. For a moment, I thought "Super Bad Review" meant you'd received one. I'm glad it's just Kai with her new release and no one's sling stones at you. I'm wishing Kai much success! Unlike you, I'm afraid I sweat the small stuff, the big stuff, and the medium stuff! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. My wording there could have different meanings, Lexa. I'm glad it doesn't mean what you first thought. You're young and still learning. It took me years to reach the point where the small stuff doesn't bother me, and sometimes it still does, but not so much. You're doing great. Hang in there.

      Delete
  3. The small stuff is what we decide indeed. Being a little bit of a villain might be fun lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Pat. Your small stuff and my small stuff are likely entirely different to anyone else's small stuff. Maybe we each have a touch of villain in us, just waiting to be set free. :)

      Delete
  4. I feel like writing is all about not sweating the small stuff, as you say, or "going with the flow", for lack of a better phrase. We're along for the ride, and we have to appreciate that or we'll never be able to enjoy the destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thought, Anne Marie. Sometimes the small stuff makes us better able to deal with the big stuff so we can "enjoy the destination." I like that. :)

      Delete
  5. Aw! Thanks for posting your lovely review today, Beverly! You sure know how to make a super good release day for Super Bad. :) And thanks for the well wishes, Lexa.

    I've always, always, always believed if you aren't having fun, you need to change what you're doing. Lately I've discovered how very difficult employing that euphemism can be. However, life is too short to sweat any of the stuffs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Kai. You know how much I like your characters, especially Jeff who really has his work cut out for him in this story. Happy Book Birthday.
      And you're doing something about your life that will make you much happier. Waiting to see how it turns out, sort of like waiting for the end of a novel. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Beverly. So right about not sweating the small stuff. My motto is don;t major on the minors. And I leave that stuff to my editor.

    Stephen Tremp
    IWSG Co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great motto, Stephen. That's what editors are for. :)

      Delete
  7. Everything is Big Stuff in my world right now. I need to prioritize :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the right idea, dolorah. It's our choice. Decide what's the most important thing(s) and concentrate on that first. One step at a time. Good luck to you.

      Delete
  8. When you really think about it, there are very few 'big stuff' things in life. And if we focus on those, everything will be all right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your creed! I try not to sweat the small stuff- though sometimes I catch myself doing it and try to stop. :) Thanks for sharing about Super Bad. Awesome to know it can be a stand alone too. :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're human, Jess, and sometimes the small stuff just gets to us.
      Super Bad is a good one, better understood with the other books.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful, interesting post to read albiet late as I went out yesterday.
    Loved the book reviews. good luck to the authors.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I'm having trouble staying online tonight. Stormy weather, lightning, thunder all around. I'm about to sign off and unplug everything to keep my computer from getting zapped.

      Delete
  11. My small stuff and big stuff change and sometimes even switch places! Blogging used to be big stuff for me, but now it isn't as much. My kids used to be big stuff for me but now they're out on their own living their own lives and it's my writing which is now the big stuff.

    Wishing all the best to Kai Strand on her new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's true, Karen. At different ages we have different things to think about. My writing is the big stuff now too. The kids are on their own.
      Kai's book is a good one.

      Delete

  12. Wishing all the best to Kai Strand on her new release! Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a super novel with interesting characters. Kai is a great writer. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete