Monday, April 6, 2015

A TO Z - ELK


The animal for today is the elk, AKA the wapiti, a Native American word that means "light-colored deer." Elk are related to deer but are much larger.  A bull (male) elk's antlers may reach 4 feet  above its head, so that the animal stands 9 feet tall.

Bull elk lose their antlers each March, but they start to grow back in May.

When I saw this I thought "Santa's Reindeer."
 
In early summer, elk migrate to high mountain grazing grounds where the cows (females) will give birth. Each cow typically has a single calf, which can stand by the time it is 20 minutes old.

Elk were once found across much of North America but they were killed off and driven to take refuge in more remote locations. Today they live primarily in western North America,  in mountainous landscapes such as Wyoming's National Elk Refuge and Yellowstone National Park. Some eastern U.S. states have reintroduced small elk herds into heavily wooded wilderness areas.

Beautiful animal.
Happy Reading

26 comments:

  1. Great to read Beverly and my isn't that picture awesome?
    Have a good day.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely animal, Yvonne. Thanks. You have a good day too.

      Delete
  2. I can see why you thought Santa's Reindeer. I thought of doing Elk for my "E" day. Glad I went a different route... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your elephant is a great choice, Melanie. I hadn't thought about the difference in their ears.

      Delete
  3. That is pretty fast to be able to stand. No red nose though, so can't be santa's reindeer haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen an elk before. Neat picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen one either, Chrys. They are pretty creatures.

      Delete
  5. It is a wonderful event when one of these animals appear, imported from a zoo probably, just to represent Santa's reindeer at a special Christmas celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This picture sure reminded me of Santa's reindeer, Carole. I've never seen a live elk.

      Delete
  6. Those antlers are amazing. I'm stopping by from the A-Z challenge.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Annalisa. Nice to "meet" you.

      Delete
  7. I remember seeing elk in Yellowstone. They are massive beasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Alex. I've never seen one, just pictures. They do look huge.

      Delete
  8. I saw one in person once. It was amazing!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it was amazing to see one up close, S. L. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I think we saw an elk once...and I think it was kind of charging at us :P Beautiful animal indeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wouldn't want to see an elk if it were charging at me, Elodie. Scary. :)

      Delete
  10. Their antlers are amazing. Can't believe they loose them and grow them back each year. Wow!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a waste, doesn't it, Jess. So nice and then to start over.

      Delete
  11. They are elegant. And I guess they must be sleigh worthy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are sleigh worthy, clee. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! Our new house apparently has deer visitors each morning, so I'll be enjoying them from the sunroom with my cup of coffee--instead of staring at the wall with my cup of coffee as I do now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Stephanie. I put out corn for the deer. It's so much fun to watch them, especailly in the summer when the young come with their mamas. Enjoy your visitors.

      Delete