Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "Y" IS FOR YELLOW-BILLED KINGFISHER

I like birds and when I ran across this one I knew it was my "Y" bird. The yellow-billed kingfisher lives in the monsoon forests and rain forests of New Guinea and Northern Australia. They eat earthworms, lizards and large insects. Isn't this an adorable bird?



Picture of the Yellow-billed Kingfisher has been licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike.
Original source: markaharper1
Author: markaharper1

Kingfishers dive into the water to bathe. They then fly to a perch where they preen and dry their feathers in the sunlight. Some will even clean their heads using their wings. They scrape their bills back and forth on a branch to keep them in good condition.

18 comments:

  1. What a pretty bird Beverly, there is such alot of beautiful things in nature,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure are, Yvonne. God created a beautiful world for us to enjoy and take care of.

      Delete
  2. What a cool looking little bird! I love to watch them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin. I spend a lot of time watching the birds when I should be writing or cleaning or whatever.

      Delete
  3. He's a handsome bird. And so small for such a long bill, I'm surprised he doesn't fall over. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might get top-heavy sometimes, Chrys. That would be funny to watch him topple over.

      Delete
  4. That is one big beak. Cute bird indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a cutie, Pat. Most birds are really pretty.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! I adore kingfishers! I'm doing animals as well, I'm just a little way up from you in the blogs, but couldn't visit before as I couldn't comment on Blogger Blogs. Have found a way to do so now - use my other computer and Safari of Firefox instead of Chrome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Nice to meet you. I don't know why they can't make all the blogs where a person can comment on them with whatever program they have. Glad you found a way. :) I'll stop by your blog and see what's up.

      Delete
  6. What a cutie! Love the yellow! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a colorful little bird, Jess. Adorable.

      Delete
  7. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of Arlee's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    I celebrated our "Z-day" by watching the iZombie television show.
    Hope to see you at the after party. I'm looking forward to when the Reflections Linky List opens on Monday, May 4th.
    I've followed your listed social media.
    That's a great image. Hello, pretty bird!
    -J @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J. Watching the Zombie TV show sounds like fun. I've never seen it. I didn't know there was a party. Thanks for telling me. Will take a look. Thanks for following me too. Will do the same.
      Have a nice weekend.

      Delete