Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "X" IS FOR XANTUS' S HUMMINGBIRD

There are very few animals that start with the letter X, but I found one of my favorites: a hummingbird.
Xantus's Hummingbirds live year round in the mountainous areas of Baja California. They've also been sighted as far north as British Columbia. They have a broad red bill with a black tip that makes them easily identified.

Photo from Wikipedia
 
It's a medium sized bird, 8-9 cm long and weighs about 3-4 grams. The bird was named after John Xantus de Vesey, a Hungarian zoologist.

18 comments:

  1. I love hummingbirds! I know what you mean about how hard it was to find an animal that started with "X" but like you, I found one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such fun to watch, Melanie. Yes, we both found good ones. :)

      Delete
  2. What a cutie? Wonderful choice for the "X" word.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I love birds and hummers are one of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. That's a very pretty bird. And so tiny too. :D Perfect for X!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are little ones, Chrys, and a lot of fun to watch.

      Delete
  4. I love hummingbirds. What a perfect pick for your X word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I love them too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. They are tiny but they sure can zip around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet they can, Pat. They move so fast it's hard to get a picture of them.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They are pretty little birds, Anne. So colorful. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks to you too. I'm running late on everything.

      Delete
  8. I love hummingbirds! Such amazing birds. I watch them on my porch whenever I can. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to watch, Jess. I have three feeders out. Sometimes they all want the same feeder and they chase each other away.

      Delete