Friday, April 24, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "U" IS FOR UNICORN

Unicorns. Whether you believe they ever existed or are just legend, they are fascinating animals. Unicorns are not found in Greek mythology but in natural history because Greek writers were convinced they were real. They have been associated with royalty and heraldry since the time of the Romans. In the 5th Century A D a passage in the Hebrew Old Testament described an animal that scholars believed was a Unicorn.

Wikipedia
fresco, probably by Domenico Zampieri, c. 1602 (Palazzo Farnese, Rome)
 
It was believed that a Unicorn's strength was in its horn and also that the horn carried magical and healing medicine.  
 
I just finished reading THE SHADOW OF THE UNICORN II: THE DECEPTION, the second book in a series for children by Suzanne de Montigny. Lovely story about Unicorns. So, I believe. Why not? Many animals have become extinct through the years. Unicorns might be one of them.
 
What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. Great post Beverly, I've often wondered about the Unicorn as to whether it was real or not. Enjoyed read and photo.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I like to think they were real because they look like such beautiful animals.

      Delete
  2. Unicorns are interesting for sure. Like leopards, they appear on coats of arms and also atop Mercat Crosses in cities, towns and villages in Scotland. Here's a link to the one in the Castlegate in Aberdeen. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aberdeen_Mercat_Cross.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the unicorn on top of the building. On some sites I visited I also saw the coat of arms. Scotland would be a wonderful place to visit.

      Delete
    2. It is a wonderful place to visit. I can't wait to go again.

      Delete
  3. I think they may have been real and spun out of proportion. Like a horse had some abnormaility and had a horn or something grow out of its head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely possible, Pat. And then over time they disappeared.

      Delete
  4. I think Pat's explanation sounds reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Alex. I guess we'll never really know.

      Delete
  5. I love unicorns! I like that you added them to your Challenge, Beverly. :) I am writing down that book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys. They fascinate me. Great. I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  6. There's always room for another beautiful animal in my belief system. Why not a Unicorn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly, Lee. So I like to think they did exist.

      Delete
  7. You've got to love unicorns, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Kelly. If a person doesn't like them, there's something wrong with the person. :)

      Delete
  8. That's could be true, since some types of rhinos have become extinct through poaching for their "magical" horn. I'm glad you liked Suzanne's book - she's such a nice person. Congrats on making it to "U" and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete