Thursday, April 23, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "T" IS FOR TASMANIAN WOLF OR TIGER

The Thylacine, also known as the Tasmanian Wolf or Tiger, a carnivorous marsupial, is considered extinct. The modern thylacine appeared about 4 million years ago. Many examples of thylacine engravings and rock art dating to 1000 BC have been found. Little is known about their behavior or habitat. The last known thylacine to be killed in the wild was shot by a farmer in 1930.

 Photo Wikipedia
 
The last captive thylacine was captured in 1933 and taken to the Hobart Zoo on the Australian Island of Tasmania. It died in 1936 as the result of neglect. It is believed the animal was locked out of its sleeping quarters in freezing temperatures.
 
Photo Wikipedia
Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart, 1910
Animal Family at the Zoo.
 
An excellent website to see why these animals became extinct is:
 

 
More neat pictures and information.
 
Happy Reading.

17 comments:

  1. Not quite the same for today's #AtoZ post but close, Beverly. I did think Tasmanian Devil at one point but changed my mind and went with my other choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your tiger, Melanie. They're such beautiful animals.

      Delete
    2. These are beautiful animals. It's easy to see their canine connection.

      Delete
  2. Such a shame they didn't have more in zoos to keep the species going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Alex. Humans are the animals worst enemies. Some day they may all be extinct. Sad.

      Delete
  3. First I ever heard of them. Shame stupid zoo neglected them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Pat. Animals in captivity depend on humans to take care of them. Unfortunately, we sometimes do a lousy job of it.

      Delete
  4. Very impressive Beverly, enjoyed the post.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. So happy you enjoyed the post. :)

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of these. They look fascinating. I love their skinny, pointed tails and the stripes on their backs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of them either, Chrys. I'm discovering quite a few animals that are new to me in my research.

      Delete
  6. Oh, these are beautiful animals. So terrible that they are extinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to see how many animals are now extinct, T. Powell. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and unique animals! I didn't know anything about them before, and I enjoyed your post. So sad that they are extinct.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of them either, Jess. Yes, along with other species we no longer have them. Sad.

      Delete
  8. Really sad to lose an entire species!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lee, and I wonder how many more animals we'll lose from neglect or destroying their homes.

      Delete