Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "R" IS FOR RACCOON

The raccoon is a medium sized mammal native to North America. It looks like it's wearing a mask. Its diet consists of a number of foods: insects, worms, fruits and nuts, also fish, amphibians and bird eggs.

 Raccoons in captivity can live up to 20 years; those in the wild from 1 to 3 years. They like hollow trees and rock crevices for sleeping and their dens. They can carry rabies.

And, let me tell you, they can be mean. One evening, we saw  three raccoons, mama, daddy, and baby raccoon,  on our patio, eating the cat food. So my husband went outside to run them off. I can't remember whether he took a stick or anything, it's been years ago. The mama and baby ran, but daddy stayed back and I think he would have attacked my husband who quickly ducked back into the house. I think the daddy was giving his family time to escape. What do you think?

Happy Reading.

20 comments:

  1. Brave raccoon. They do have some sharp teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can be nasty when they want to be. Sounds like daddy was protecting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured he was, Pat. I don't think they're afraid of people too much.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely creature, braving the elements I see.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have pretty faces, Yvonne. They look sweet.

      Delete
  4. Raccoons have cute faces and I like their tails, but they can sure make a mess with garbage. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny that we've picked the same animal again, Beverly! Sharing the same brain - or good minds think alike.

    We used to have casement windows in our kitchen (screens on the inside). To make a long story short, dog barking like mad. Raccoon clinging to the screen. Only way to get rid of him was to crank the window shut. Good thing the screen didn't collapse or I would have had the beast indoors. They hiss when they're mad.

    I sent another one packing once with the golf umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had to happen, Melanie. Yep. I like good minds think alike. I'm also thinking we might have another same choice with the letter T. It's something I can see you liking. We'll find out soon. :)

      Delete
    2. It will be interesting to see if we're on the same wavelength come T-day. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Raccoons look so adorable you want to snatch them up and give them a cuddle, but, whoa, are you right. They can be so vicious. My friend's cat was mauled so badly by a pack of raccoons that she had to be euthanized. They do seem to be fearless things, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's horrible, Kern. So sad. I guess that old saying "Looks can be deceiving" works with the raccoon. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Raccoons look so adorable you want to snatch them up and give them a cuddle, but, whoa, are you right. They can be so vicious. My friend's cat was mauled so badly by a pack of raccoons that she had to be euthanized. They do seem to be fearless things, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rocky Raccoon and I are on good terms these days. He stays out of my hot tub and I stay out of his cozy under-the-deck hideout. For a while we were at war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that, Lee. So you have your own pet. Be careful. I don't trust the little critters.

      Delete
  9. I have heard raccoons can be mean, which is surprising, considering how cute they look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we can't trust that cute little face, Stephanie. Beware.

      Delete
  10. My American friend says they are a problem, but I'd love to see one of these creatures in my garden.

    ReplyDelete