Friday, April 17, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "O" IS FOR OKAPI

When I was searching for an animal for the letter "O" I discovered this beauty. I've never heard of an okapi before. Have you?

The okapi are native to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Africa. They are found mostly in the Ituri Rainforest. Because of their markings, the okapi resemble a zebra, but they actually are in the giraffe family.
 
 Photo courtesy of:
Okapia_johnstoni_-Marwell_Wildlife,_Hampshire,_England-8a
 

 
Okapis eat tree leaves and buds, grasses, ferns, fruits, and fungi.
Many of the plants they eat are poisonous to humans.
Okapis are 6 to 8 ft. long (from the head to the base of the tail) and 4.9 to 6.6 ft. tall at the shoulder.They weigh from 440 to 770 lbs. What a lovely animal.

Happy Reading! 
 

 


18 comments:

  1. What a sweet animal that is Beverly? such a lovely photo.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was cute and unusual, Yvonne.
      Have a super weekend.

      Delete
  2. He is a sweet looking animal. Hard to believe he's a member of the giraffe family and not zebra with all those stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Melanie. I guess the "experts" have ways of determining the family of an animal.

      Delete
  3. Even I am hearing about Okapi the first time!! Such a beautiful animal :)
    Points To Ponder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Natasha. I've discovered some of the sweetest animals in my research. Who knew?

      Delete
  4. I've seen them before but never knew what they were called. A fun animal indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was cool seeing this little critter, Pat. It is very distinct.

      Delete
  5. I've seen them before but they are still odd looking creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are different little critters, Alex. Quite lovely.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen Okapi before. He's cute! It's like that they are made from several different animals. I love giraffes too. So I like this guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them, either, Chrys. Kind of a patchwork animal, huh?

      Delete
  7. Was drawn to this immediately when I saw your title, have lived in the Congo, happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Carole. I bet you're familiar with the okapi then.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a giraffe and zebra mated!

    ReplyDelete