Friday, April 10, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - I - INDIAN STAR TORTOISE

The Indian star tortoise is a medium sized tortoise found in the dry and arid forests of central and southern India and also in Sri Lanka. It gets it's name from the star-like patterns on its shell.

 
Isn't that a pretty shell?

 Because of the unusual shell it is a popular pet in the world's exotic pet trade. The design on the shell helps protect it from predators, but it does have to watch out for large birds of prey and snakes, as well as humans that that eat them and capture them for the pet trade. It's a vegetarian, dining mostly on leaves, fruits and berries and flowers.

Do you have a pet tortoise?

16 comments:

  1. The shell is pretty. I'd never heard of the Indian Star Tortoise before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either, Melanie. It's really a pretty little animal.

      Delete
  2. My what a beauty? Never heard of that one before.Great post Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had a pet tortoise. One interesting shell indeed. First I've heard of it too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had one for a pet either, Pat. It is lovely.

      Delete
  4. That shell is very pretty. It makes me sad that humans can eat them. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Chrys. How can people eat something so lovely?

      Delete
  5. I'd never seen one of these before. It is absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's new to me too, C Lee. Glad I found it though.

      Delete
  6. Why can't people leave wild animals in the wild?

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a magnificent creature, isn't it! "Ancient" is the word that come to my mind when i see a tortoise. We had once a baby tortoise before we gave it away for its good.
    Points To Ponder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good word, Natasha. I never thought about it but they do look ancient. I wonder if people say that about me. :)

      Delete