Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - "G" IS FOR GIANT PANDA

The Giant Panda is a member of the bear family. The Giant Panda has black fur on ears, eye patches, muzzle, legs and shoulders. The rest of the Panda's fur is white.  Pandas are two to three feet tall at the shoulders when standing on all fours.These bears look like cute animals, but they can be dangerous.
You gotta love a face like this.

Giant Pandas live in forests where  bamboo grows. They eat mostly the stalks and roots of the bamboo. They spend 10 to 16 hours a day eating and need 20 to 40 pounds of bamboo a day. The panda's diet is 99 percent bamboo, but it does eat other food, such as fish, eggs, honey, shrub leaves, yams, oranges and bananas.

For more, go here:


http://www.animalstown.com/animals/g/giant-panda/giant-panda.php

 

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful subject Beverly, enjoyed the read and what a lovely picture.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I think the panda is a pretty animal. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Such very beautiful creatures, and their habitat being destroyed is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely animals, Carole. Like so many other animals, people are their worst enemies.

      Delete
  3. I love pandas! I wish I could see and even pet one in real life. Wow! They sure eat a lot of bamboo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are adorable, aren't they, Chrys? They sure do. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'd grow bored having to eat for that long each day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Pat. It doesn't leave much time to have fun, does it? :)

      Delete
  5. I love pandas! I remember when I was little, one of the first stuffed animals I got was a panda bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shh, secret. I have a stuffed panda now. I bought it for a magazine article I wrote on pandas so I could show it to the kids when I talked to them at signings.

      Delete
  6. I read an article a few months ago about how the Chinese have succeeded in breeding these adorable creatures. They had a picture of dozen of baby pandas. Adorable doesn't do that picture justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that. Interesting. They are precious.

      Delete
  7. I noticed that the neighbors across the street have a grove of bamboo. I'm sure it's not near enough to feed a panda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great subject for A to Z, and I love pandas!

    ReplyDelete