Saturday, April 4, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - DOGS

A dog, man's best friend they say, and that is true of most dogs. Today, we'll take a brief look at dogs.

At least 12,000 years ago dogs became the first animals to be tamed. Today, about 49 million dogs live as pets in the United States. That's a lot of dogs. Dogs come in all sizes. The smallest is the Chihuahua. They weigh about 4 pounds and are 5 inches tall at the shoulders. The Irish Wolfhound is the tallest dog at about 34 inches tall. The St. Bernard is the heaviest at as much as 200 pounds. There are about 800 species of dogs in the world.

Do you have a dog in your family. I don't but my son's dog pays me regular visits. He likes my scraps. Son calls him Mooch. I call him Traveler. He's another little stray. We get a lot of those out in the country. Traveler is at least part Blue Heeler, and he just showed up one day. I think he ran away from his home on the road behind us. Anyhow, he adopted our family. He's getting old now. Been around awhile. I have to show you this picture. It was taken in 2009, when we had a really snowy winter, which is unusual for our area.
I had thrown some bread out for the birds, and Traveler climbed the fence to get to it. He loves to eat.

Traveler also made some money for me. I sent a story about him saving my husband from a rattlesnake in the backyard, and CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL WHAT I LEARNED FROM THE DOG published it. Pretty cool.

What's your favorite dog?

15 comments:

  1. We had a dog many years ago , Sheba was an allsorts dog, not a pedigree but lovable all the same, we had her for 16 years. After we had to part with her I wrote my very first poem called "Sheba". I can't have pets where I live,
    Enjoyed your post very much. Beverly.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to part with a pet we've had for years, Yvonne. What an inspiration for your first poem. It's unfortunate that most rental places won't allow pets. Thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy your comments.

      Delete
  2. lol he must love to eat if he wants the bread. I've had dogs of all sorts growing up. Each one was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat, he'll eat most anything. We've had many dogs through the years, too.

      Delete
  3. I almost chose dogs for my #AtoZChallenge but instead went with Donkey. We currently have a 12 year old, male black & tan hound, lab, shepherd mix. Wouldn't trade him for the world. His name is Jake and he's been known to eat birdseed.

    You can see a picture of him at this link https://www.pinterest.com/pin/395190936022143370/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Eats birdseed. Sounds like Traveler, who'll eat most anything. Dogs make wonderful pets and they do become part of the family.

      Delete
    2. Yup, he does. Not so much now but when he was younger he loved it. He's definitely a member of the family... and spoiled rotten.

      Delete
  4. I don't have a dog, but I sure learned a lot of new facts about them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help, Chrys. Thanks for visiting us.

      Delete
  5. That's cool he saved your husband from the snake - and that the book published your story about it.
    He's not so much climbing the fence as just walking right over it.
    We had dogs growing up but I don't have one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a lot of snow, Alex. Dogs are entertaining.

      Delete
  6. Hi Beverly
    Delighted to find you here and even more delighted to have arrived on D for Dogs day. Our small dog, who looks like a cross between a meerkat and a whippet, was rescued by our vet when he was only two weeks old.
    He came from New Zealand, has a Dutch passport, and now lives in the UK!

    Anne at http://www.authorsupport.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie. Your dog sounds precious. I love the rescue stories and your baby has a good one. He's seen a lot of the world too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Such a nice dedicated theme for the challenge. Good luck. :)

    Cheers,
    POETICbug
    http://poeticbug.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Salvwi. Nice of you to stop by.

      Delete