Friday, April 3, 2015

A TO Z CHALLENGE - CATS


Egyptians may have first domesticated cats as early as 4,000 years ago. Early Egyptians worshipped a cat goddess and even mummified their beloved pets for their journey to the next world—accompanied by mummified mice! Cultures around the world later adopted cats as their own companions.
 
 I've owned many cats in my lifetime. (Or they owned me.) My Persian cat, Sugar, lived to be age 21.
There are too many species of cats to talk about in a few words, so I'm going to focus on the two in my household today. First, I'd like for you to meet Patches, a calico.
Patches likes turkey sandwich meet, and she picks it up with her paw.

She showed up on the patio one day, chasing insects to eat. She's been here for nine years. Calico is a color of the fur, not a breed. Calico cats are almost always female because the X chromosome determines the color of the cat, and female cats have two X chromosomes, where male cats have one X and one Y.


Next, this little guy is Tiger, my Tabby cat. Again, Tabby is not a breed, but a color of fur.

Tiger also showed up on our patio one hot summer day. I couldn't sent him away, and I'm so glad I kept him. Tiger is an outdoor boy. He loves my son, who is an outdoor boy too. It's a "guy" thing, I guess. I bring Tiger in the house at night because of the coyotes and dogs that run loose.

Tabby cats are very common. They're playful and friendly and like to be around their family. This is true in our household. Patches runs and hides when visitors stop by. Tiger crawls into their laps. He's not an angel all the time. When he wants to go outside, he tells me so in a very strong voice.

Now you've met my fur babies. They say "Hi."
 


28 comments:

  1. I love cats Beverly, we had one for 14 yrs, the last four of her life she was diabetic, had to give her 2 shots of insulin daily. She was a great comfort to me after my husband passed away. I still miss her 15 yrs on.
    Your post was a joy to read and the photo's awesome.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. Cats are wonderful company. They do work their way into our hearts.

      Delete
  2. I love kitties. I have 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, another kittie lover. Three sounds perfect.

      Delete
  3. I had a calico once. She was gorgeous. Loved to go for car rides and used to sit on my lap when I was trying to sew... on the machine, not by hand. She'd get her front paws right up with my hands and I was always afraid she'd get needled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Sounds like my calico. She sits on my lap sometimes when I'm typing and lays her head on the keyboard. I try to explain I can't type that way. She doesn't care.

      Delete
  4. OK. I see a couple of typos. I can't spell. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That meat must be very tasty haha Tiger sure can pose. Nice of him to be friendly too. Both here run and hide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some kitties are just shy, I guess. Tiger especially likes children, lets the grandkids carry him around.

      Delete
  6. Hey Patches and Tiger! Sounds like you both showed up on the right doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there must be a sign somewhere that says Stray Pets This Way for a New Home and Grub.

      Delete
  7. My very favourite subject, cats. So very envious, would love to have one. One day I shall write another children's book and have the cat as the central character. Just like 'Carbonel' a wonderful story for children and cat lovers alike. It's by Barbara Sleigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Carole. Another cat lover. Cat's make great characters in stories. I haven't heard of that book. Will have to take a look. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Cats are so wonderful when they let you live with them. I'm without any for the first time I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when "they let you" is a great description. I always seem to have one and don't go looking for them. They find me. :)

      Delete
  9. I love cats! I have four of them that I rescued. I always liked it that the Egyptians worshiped them. My kitties definitely act like they should be worshiped. I'm like their slave. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four is a nice little family. Now that you mention it, our kitties do seem to think we should be grateful they let us hang around. Rescuing cats is a wonderful thing to do.

      Delete
  10. My cat, Bill, lets me know in a loud voice when he wants to go out too! He was abandoned in the parking lot of a restaurant I worked at. My heart went out to him and I had to take him to the vet and bring him home. I have had him for close to ten years. Glad to learn more about your cats! Great pictures!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful story. You and Bill were meant to be together. How people can abandon their pets puzzles me. It's cruel. Thankfully kind people, like you, give them a good home.

      Delete
  11. I'm a dog person myself, because I'm allergic to cats. But I always enjoy seeing cats, just can't really pet them myself. Great post, and I love hearing about other people's pets. If you have time you should stop by and check out my C post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like dogs, but don't have any at the moment. We've had a lot in the past. My youngest son is allergic to cats too. When he and his family come for a visit, he brings his allergy medicine, poor boy. I'll check out your C post right now. Thanks for the link. :)

      Delete
  12. So cute. Hi right back to them. I've never owned a cat--only dogs and only two over the course of my life. My mom wouldn't let us have pets growing up. She grew up on a farm and her idea was that dogs were to be kept outside, not inside. She's changed her mind since and now has a dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid the dogs and cats stayed outside. Now, they're in and out. They do keep me busy. I say Patches is like a two year old, always into something.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for your visit and kind encouragement, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful fur babies you have! My husband and I have three dogs and we foster one or two cats at a time until the go to their forever homes. Right now we have a furry orange fluff ball called Champagne. He has my husband wrapped around his little paw. We'll be sad to see him go to his forever home someday.
    Thank you very much for stopping by my Random Acts of Kindness A-Z lists! If I can inspire people to even perform a few extra kind acts through my blog and my B(e) Kind project, I will be a happy gal!
    Brandy from Brandy's Bustlings

    ReplyDelete