Friday, March 20, 2015

THE WINNER IS and A REVIEW

Happy First Day of Spring!
Today is Friday Fun, and it has been a fun day.
 
First, when I checked my email this morning, I had a lovely review. Now, that's fun for sure.
 

                  I LIVE IN A DOGHOUSE          

 
 
 Book Review
Reviewed by for Readers' Favorite

I Live in a Doghouse by Beverly Stowe McClure is about a young boy called Nick who is struggling to adjust to his new family dynamic. His mother has remarried and, on top of a snotty step sister called Grace, Nick has also gained a new baby half sister called Lily. With his world turned upside down, Nick escapes to the dog house belonging to his Labrador, Accident, as often as he can to avoid helping his mom with his little sister. Faced with a summer of listening to Grace call him names and being stuck with babysitting duties while his mother works at her catering business, Nick just wants to escape. He wishes his father would come back and claim him, but as time goes on he realizes what he has isn't so bad.

Beverly Stowe McClure has a wonderful writing style and I enjoyed I Live in a Doghouse. Nick was portrayed well and the way he talks and acts sounds like an eleven-year-old. I think that kids of this age can relate to him and it doesn't sound forced or unrealistic. I feel that despite there being a boy in the lead role, it can be enjoyed by boys and girls. I would have happily read this book at that age. It would also be a good book for any child who has an extended family. It's not an easy thing, and living with new siblings can be hard. I think this book could be a comfort to them, as well as being highly entertaining.
###
 
 
I'm all smiles.
 
Second, we have a winner for my contest to name the weird noise the girls hear at night. I ran the contest on Facebook and my blog, and only one person guessed the right answer. There really wasn't a clue in the blurb so that made it kind of difficult. Our winner of a copy of WEIRD NOISES IN THE NIGHT is right on, though. And he is:
 
Drum roll please.
 
Our favorite Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh guessed a cat. Exactly right. The cat is flushing the toilet. The "whoosh-swish-gurgle" is what the girls hear. The idea for the story came to me when I saw my son's cat do that very thing. I took pictures and had to laugh. It was so funny.
 
Congratulations, Alex, and a big thanks to everyone that entered.
 
Third, have a wonderful weekend.
 
Happy reading.
  


26 comments:

  1. Congrats to the ninja wannabe and awesome review indeed for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great review, Beverly and congrats to Alex!

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Alex, A great post Beverly enjoyed the read very much,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I enjoyed reading it too. :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! Great way to start the day. And thanks again - excited I won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I hope you enjoy meeting the cat.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the great review! Congrats to Alex for winning - such a clever guy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with it, Lexa. He is. I don't know how he figured it out because there really wasn't a clue.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the great review, and congrats to Alex, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome review! Such a great way to start the day! :)

    Congrats to Alex!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic review--I love getting them myself--and congrats to Alex. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good reviews do make all our hard work worth it, don't they, Medeia. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to Alex! Great review, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the review and congrats to Alex! Much deserved, on both counts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the review. And congratulations to Alex as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa. I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  12. Woo Hoo on the awesome review! Always brightens an author's day! Hope you are well! Three cheers for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. They sure do. Spring, yes.

      Delete