Monday, February 2, 2015

SUDDEN SECRETS REVIEW

Monday Musings.
Crazy weather. One day it's spring.
The next day it's winter.
We did receive some much needed rain.
And cold days are good for reading.
I've just finished another great novel and would like to share it with you.
 
Now you know this teen has a story to tell, and likely not a happy one.
Great cover.
 
 

SUDDEN SECRETS Review
By C. Lee McKenzie
Sometimes a tragedy occurs in a person’s life, a tragedy so heartbreaking they want to keep it a secret. They try to run away from it, perhaps by moving to a new town, hoping to start over again. But the secret haunts them, and they can’t forget. They shouldn’t forget, for it’s a part of their lives, forever.
SUDDEN SECRETS, Author C. Lee McKenzie’s latest novel for YA readers, is a story the reader won’t forget for a while, at least this reader won’t forget. It’s the tender story of a family falling apart. High school junior Cleopatra Brown, her mother and grandfather, along with Tut, a Great Dane, Nefertiti, a cat, and Clyde, Grandpa’s pet boa, move into a dilapidated old house in a new town. They hope to put the past behind them. Cleo’s father is in Afghanistan “saving pieces of history” rather than being with his family that needs him, especially Cleo. Cleo is supposed to go to a new school and live, like everything is normal. But her life isn’t normal. It never will be again because of the secret she carries with her. Even handsome hunk Ethan, funny Rudy and gorgeous Stacy, her new friends, cannot help Cleo forgive herself. My favorite character is Rudy, with his mostly positive attitude that brightens the darker scenes. Then there’s the house across the street that appears to be empty, except for the occasional light Cleo sees through the window and the van that arrived every Saturday morning.
C. Lee McKenzie has woven a tale of mystery and suspense in SUDDEN SECRETS. The effect of the tragedy on the family is believable, and I was hoping they’d resolve their problems and be a family again. Then the author threw in an unexpected surprise, at least to me. And I’m not saying what. Looking back I can see the subtle hints Ms. McKenzie planted along the way. Very nice.
SUDDEN SECRETS may bring tears to your eyes. It did mine. I felt the pain of the family, especially Cleo, as they struggled to survive the past. An enjoyable read that I highly recommend.
###
Happy Reading!
 


19 comments:

  1. You know a book is written well when it can provoke such emotion. Yep, weather is crazy of late

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pat. I'm considering a rhyme next thyme.

      Delete
  2. Lee will be really happy with that review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this story, Alex. Lee writes great characters.

      Delete
    2. Beverly writes great reviews, doesn't she?

      Delete
  3. This seems to be the year of heavy issues in YA. I just finished Medeia Sharif's Vitamins and Death. This sounds like another I'd like. Lee's a great writer and I can imagine she handles sensitive subjects well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Beverly. Hooray for rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one, Kai. There are so many books out there. Lee does, and she throws in little surprises sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Medeia's books tackle some very heavy duty topics. I love that.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like such an emotional read. Congrats to Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like an amazing book. And that cover says so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a touching story, Stephanie, as it could describe the lives of many people.

      Delete
    2. I think Evernight Teen does a great job on their covers.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for shouting it out on Twitter. Really appreciate that.

      Delete
  7. Why is the author late to her party? I have a written excuse. Well, not really.
    As usual, your review sparkles. It's so well done, I cannot write a review as well as you can. I think I'm jealous, Beverly. Thanks for taking the time to read the book and give it a carefully crafted review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Lee. You sound like a school kid with excuses.
      You know what? I think I forgot to let you know the review was up. My brain takes a holiday now and then. :)
      Your books are easy to review because they're so good. There's lots of great things to say about them. Happy you like it. I just write from my heart.

      Delete