Wednesday, February 4, 2015

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP AND WRITER'S REBEL CREED

Welcome Wednesday!
Today is the first Wednesday of February, Insecure Writer's Support Group
and 2015 Writer's Rebel Day.
 
 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
 
Awesome Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG. His awesome co-hosts for the February 4 posting of the IWSG are Gwen Gardner, Dolorah, Sarah Foster, and M. Pax!
Visit other blogs on this Hop here
 
All I have to say today is "Stay With It." No matter how long it takes, how many revisions, if you like your story don't give up on it.

From 2011 until 2015, I typed and revised my story, typed and revised, again and again. My critique partners read it and offered great advice. Thank you, Beth, Cheryl, Gail, and Kai. I revised some more. I sent it to an editor. She had great suggestions. It still needed more work.

I gave it a new title and lots of changes. My patient crit partner read it again with very helpful comments, finding things that didn't work. Thank you, Kai.

So, last Friday, I submitted the manuscript to a publisher. Whether they'll like it or not, I have no idea. But I stayed with it, for better or for worse. And I'll send it out again and again, if necessary.

We'll see what happens.

How about you? Do you stay with a story you really like, until you make it the best you can?

This is also the day I post 2015 Writer's Rebel Creed, Sheri Larsen's baby.

I guess mostly I trusted in the beauty of revisions because I've done a lot of that in the past three months.

I accepted my flaws and trusted my gut.

This was my personal writing journey: to complete this story

How are you doing with your Rebel Creed?

I'd like to leave you today with this great review from Reader's Favorite for my MG novel Star of the Team.

Reviewed By Michelle Robertson for Readers’ Favorite

Kate Taylor loves to play basketball. She played on the Angel's basketball team last season and dreams to be the star player on the team this season with the most points scored. With her mom as the coach and her sister's boyfriend Ray as the assistant coach, Kate feels she is as good as gold for the star position. But that dream suddenly takes a different turn in the road when Kate has an accident, and Emily, the new girl, begins to shine in her place. Is scoring the most points the only way to be a star player? Will Kate overcome the challenge of taking her star player spot back from Emily, or will Emily cause her dreams ultimate defeat this season?

Star of the Team by Beverly Stowe McClure is a wonderful children's book introducing young readers to the concepts of patience, teamwork, and friendship. Children often find themselves believing it is more important to be the best of the best when playing a sport, but at the age of the characters in the book - eleven - the most important issues in playing a sport are teamwork and learning the basics. The author does a great job portraying those concepts with creative character development and a heartfelt dialog throughout the book. The text is written as though it is coming straight from an 11-year-old's thoughts.

The pure innocence of a youthful mind is both humbling and humorous. The life lesson and message included in the story are powerful. Children and adults alike who play sports, coach, or have played in the past will enjoy this story, but those readers who have not would benefit and enjoy reading it as well.


Happy Reading!



20 comments:

  1. A wonderful post Beverly which I enjoyed very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. So nice to have you back. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Great review!
    Hope you get good news from that publisher. If not, there are many more out there.
    I only have one idea at a time, so I have to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. Yes, I have a list of publishers. :) I have lots of ideas, most of them not great.

      Delete
  3. Aw, Beverly, thanks for the shout out. You know I love that story. Good luck finding a home. Such a great review. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kai. I couldn't have done it without you. :)

      Delete
  4. "Stay with it." Yes! Thanks for the stories of your own determination. Very inspiring and encouraging. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. I think it pays to have a stubborn streak in the writing world. Keep on, no matter what.

      Delete
  5. "Stay with it!" That's great advice and perfect since I've been going through so many revisions lately for several projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chrys. If you're like me, it seems like the revisions never end. Especially when you're working on more than one project.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the wonderful review and hanging in their with our latest submission! Best, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I'm looking forward to your next story.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with that story. You've spent a lot of time with it and it deserves every chance. If that publisher says no, just say next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I have a list of possible publishers. :)

      Delete
  8. A good story, and I am sure it will find a deserving home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stay with my stories and explore every avenue for them. If they're polished and I strongly believe in them, I don't let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the reason you have so many great books published, Medeia. :)

      Delete
  10. Stay with it, is great advice! Good luck with your manuscript. I have edited and edited my two middle grades. I'm not giving up on them, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. Staying with it. Hang in there. And one day ... Yay.

      Delete