Friday, January 23, 2015

NEW BOOKS AND A 150TH ANNIVERSARY

Friday Fun!
Forthcoming books are fun, right? Especially if they're written by authors we love. Our local newspaper listed some forthcoming books in 2015 that I think sound wonderful.
 
1. Judy Blume, one of my favorite children's/teen's authors has written a novel  for adults. Well, why not? Other children's authors have. IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT is scheduled for a June 2, 2015, release.
 
2. J. K. Rowling is bringing out her 2008 Harvard commencement speech as a book. VERY GOOD LIVES: THE FRINGE BENEFITS OF FAILURE AND THE IMPORTANCE OF IMAGINATION. Little, Brown, April 14th.
 
3. 2015 is the 150th Anniversary of the end of the Civil War and the assassination of the president, so look for a whole bunch of novels about Lincoln and the war. (Which reminds me, I have a Civil War novel. Must have a contest or something for it. Thinking. Thinking.)
 
4. Nobel Prize Winning Author Toni Morrison has a new one. GOD HELP THE CHILD, Knopf, April 21.
 
5.  David Duchovny, of the X-Files, has written a barnyard epic titled HOLY COW. FSG, Feb. 3.
 
Mmm. I don't see any books for children or teens here. I know there are a lot scheduled, but will let the authors mention them.
 
How about you? Tell us about your forthcoming books.
 
Happy Reading!
 
 

16 comments:

  1. A hundred and fifty years, and some people in the South still grumble about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just like to complain about anything, Alex. I think it was a sad, sad time in our history. Brother against brother. Father against son. We should have learned something from it. I'm afraid we didn't.

      Delete
  2. Yes, why not... my next book, when I've finished the children's sequel is to be a book for grown-ups and a book of poetry, heaven help me! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Carole. I think it's fun to try new things. You'll do great, poetry and all. :)

      Delete
  3. Never knew the x-files guy was writing anything. A commencement speech as a book though? hmm to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he thought everyone else had written a book, why not him, Pat. Yeah, a speech as a book, only if you're famous. :)

      Delete
  4. A commencement speech as a book? That must have been quite a speech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only J. K. Rowling could do it. It's not on my TBR list. :)

      Delete
  5. The Duchovny one isn't for kids? Hmm... What a group of interesting upcoming releases. Thanks for the rundown! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This article came from Newsday, and the writer says about Holy Cow: "a barnyard epic that just might give George Orwell a run for his money." Whatever that means.

      Delete
  6. It's funny David Duchovny is trying his hand at writing. He played a novelist in Californication. He was a complete mess of a novelist in it, but one wonders if maybe playing a writer inspired him to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see that movie, Stephanie. Maybe it did inspire him to the writing life. We'll see how it works out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I'm interested in reading Duchovny and Blume's books. I just Googled "Civil War" and had no idea they were using submarines back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Medeia, submarines were very new back then. I have a book on the raising of the Hunley. It's now on display in Charleston.

      Delete
  8. I loved Judy Blume growing up and will definitely have to pick up her book for adults when it is out. :) Thanks for sharing these upcoming releases- lots of good ones coming out!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy Blume's book is one I'm looking forward to, Jess.

      Delete