Wednesday, January 7, 2015

INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP AND WRITERS REBEL CREED

The first Wednesday of the month and also the first Wednesday of 2015.
You know what that means.
 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page for more blogs to visit and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
Alex J. Cavanaugh is the creator of this hop.
His awesome co-hosts for the January 7 posting of the IWSG will be Elizabeth Seckman, Lisa Buie-Collard, Chrys Fey, andMichelle Wallace!

Alex has asked us to tell a little bit about ourselves. So here's me:

I'm a mother, mema, and great-mema. For twenty-two years I taught children how to read and write. They taught me patience. Now, I listen to little voices that whisper in my ear and I write their stories. To some of my friends I'm known as the "Bug Lady" because I save butterflies, moths, praying mantis, and walking sticks from my cats. I also play the piano. My cats don't appreciate good music and hide when I tickle the ivories.

Now for my thoughts of the day.

What I Learned in Kindergarten
 
Many years ago, before kindergarten was a part of public schools, I attended a private kindergarten. I was very shy, and my parents decided I needed to be around other children. I remember very little about the school, but one thing sticks in my mind. I learned how to tie my shoe laces. Yep. That may be all I learned, I don't know. I remember we sat in a circle and the teacher went around the circle having each of us tie our laces. We kept practicing until we could do it. There was no giving up. The teacher set a goal. We practiced until we reached that goal.
 
How does this relate to writing you may be thinking? When a story comes to mind, we sit at our computers or at a desk, with pad and pen. We take the first step. Turn on the computer or take the top off the pen. We put words on the screen or on the paper. We may not succeed at first. But we keep trying, again and again. Sometimes we reach our goal quickly. Other times we almost give up. But then we look, and we've done it. Our story is finished. Now we're ready to show the world our success.
 
How do you plan to reach your goals this year? Good luck to all.
 
 
Today is also WRITER'S REBEL CREED
Sheri Larsen started this and she's added a few ideas this year.
Take a look.
 
 
 
 
 Improve 2 writing skills. (To work on this month.)
My personal writing journey. (Work on this too.)
Wordsprint an Writerscreed. (More stuff to work on.)
Accept my flaws. (Oh, yeah, I have a lot of those.)
Trust my gut. (Trying, trying.)
Give back. (Reviews, spotlights, blog tours, etc.)
Write out of my comfort zone. (I'm thinking.)
Beauty of revisions. (Actually, I'm enjoying the revisions I'm doing now. My story is much stronger. It's about 2,000 words shorter too.  Thanks to my crit partners and their awesome comments.)
 
Enjoy your writing journey.
 
Thanks for visiting today. Don't forget to visit the other blogs on the hop.
 
Happy Reading.
 
 
 



20 comments:

  1. Some great goals for the year indeed, and yeah we have to keep on trying again and again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish it was a simple as tying laces.
    So when it comes to cats, you know how to clear a room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Alex, it is a bit ore complicated. :) The piano does it every time.

      Delete
  3. My maiden name is Smith. My Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Smith. So I called her Mom. Not sure I learned a lot there. Ha ha.

    Thanks for being a mega-awesome critique partner. I'm always eager to get your input. Looking forward to sharing more work with you in 2015. Congrats again on Doghouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two Mrs. Smith's could be confusing for a little one, Kai.
      I enjoy seeing the early editions of your stories. Here's to both of us with lots of work this year.

      Delete
  4. One of the most important things is to finish the story. So many people agonize over the first few chapters--sometimes spending years trying to perfect them, all the time not realizing they might not keep them once they write the end of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Donna. A lot of changes come with the edits Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Kindergarten was a rough time for me- both years. Yep, I failed it the first year and had to return for a second try. And I didn't learn to tie my shoes until the first grade. Lesson for writing, I suppose, is that no matter how daunting or embarrassing, you've got to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes us awhile to learn what we want to, Elizabeth, but when we finally do we can celebrate. Yep, never give up. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Beverly, I hope 2015 is a wonderful year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanne. I hope the New Year brings you happiness, good health, and everything your heart desires. Thanks for being my friend.

      Delete
  7. I have such fond memories of kindergarten until the day the teachers decided it would be in my best interest and that of my twin sister if we were in different classes. One of us would attend the morning the session and the other the afternoon session. We were devastated until my mom said NO as soon as the idea was presented to her. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for Mom. I don't see the sense in separating twins or siblings. Twins especially, who usually are so close.

      Delete
  8. I really like the idea of improving two writing skills per month. I think I'm going to do that as well. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good idea, as well, Vanessa. A lot of my writing skills need improvement. :) Have a lovely weekend too.

      Delete
  9. Mema...I think that's adorable!

    I learned how to tie my shoes in Kindergarten too. One of my friends had actually taught me. :) Meeting our goals is all about taking one step. I hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the grown grandkids still call me Mema. :)
      Yes, one step at a time and we'll finally reach the finish line.
      Here's to a wonderful year for you, as well, Chrys.

      Delete
  10. The shoe lace tying is a great metaphor! Sometimes the simplest and oldest (from our lives, that is) are the clearest. Writing is like any other skill - practice makes perfect :) Or, as close to perfect as we can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, Liz. It's like playing the piano or painting or anything. Great comment. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete