Monday, January 19, 2015

52 LIKES REVIEW

Monday Musings!
We've had a touch of spring this weekend. Temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Nice, except for the North Wind that felt like it was from the North Pole. Not complaining, just am not crazy about windy days.
Today, going along with Medeia Sharif's Book Blast and Spotlight for her latest YA novel 52 LIKES, I'd like to share my review. The book is awesome. It sure touches a person's heart, at least it did mine.
 
 
52 LIKES Review
By Medeia Sharif
Rape.  We read about it in the newspapers. We see it on the TV news. We see how this act of violence affects the life of the victims, their families and their friends. We may even know someone whose life has been changed by this horrible crime.
Author Medeia Sharif’s latest YA novel, 52 LIKES, opens with a rape scene that catches the readers’ attention at once. The author describes the scene just right. It’s not gross, with gory details, but it contains enough description and the victim’s thoughts that I was caught up in the scene with Valerie , imagining the terror she felt.  The fear. Wanting it to end. Helpless to stop it.
She survives and although she’d like to stay hidden and forget the horrid event, she can’t.  She’s afraid, yes, but she’s also determined to discover who raped her and see that he’s caught and punished. Until she does, she can’t have her life back. Facing the rumors at school, the school counselor who doesn’t care, and the boys that taunt her and call her names isn’t easy.  Soon she finds herself searching not only for the rapist for herself, but also for the three other girls in the photos that appeared on her cell, the ghost girls that he’s killed, his original plan for Valerie, until someone intervened.
Medeia Sharif has written a story that, unfortunately, is true to life. She’s given us a glimpse into the mind of a victim. The author keeps the reader in suspense throughout the book, letting us wonder who the rapist/murderer is until the very end.
In 52 LIKES, we also see a lovely mother-daughter relationship. When everyone else fails her, Valerie’s mother is there. Valerie is a character that you want to hug and protect and help her realize the beauty inside herself. This is a good book to use for a discussion on bullying and how hatred can destroy lives and relationships.  Nice job.
I was provided with an ARC for my honest review.
There's also a Rafflecopter going on that I missed on the Cover Reveal. I found it. Here it is:
 

Happy Reading. 

 
 


10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Medeia!
    We were a bit warmer as well. There were even bugs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the birds appreciated the bugs, Alex. :)

      Delete
  2. Getting warmer here today, which is nice. Congrats, Medeia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an awesome novel, Pat. Yay for warmer days.

      Delete
  3. It's cool at night and warm during the day where I am.

    Thank you for the wonderful review and for participating in my book blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Medeia. Your novel is so touching. I'm glad I had the chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. I devoured this book and Vitamins and Death. Medeia is on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, Kelly. I couldn't put it down. What a story!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Beverly. Thanks for sharing your review of this book.

    I've nominated you for an award. If you stop by my blog, you can pick it up.
    http://susannedrazic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is an interesting story, Susanne. I'm happy to share it with others.

      Oh, and I'm on the way to pick up my award. Sounds exciting. :)

      Delete