Wednesday, December 3, 2014

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP AND WRITER'S REBEL CREED

It's the first Wednesday in December, and you know what that means.
 
The Insecure Writer’s Support Group

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
 
Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.
 
Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG. His awesome co-hosts for the December 3 posting of the IWSG are Heather Gardner, T. Drecker from Kidbits, Eva E. Solar at Lilicasplace, and Patsy Collins!
 
To see other places to visit on the Blog Hop click here.
 
When Do You Stop?
 
My post today is about revising, revising and revising. When is the story the best I can make it? My current WIP has been revised so many times I've lost count. I've sent it to an editor. Her suggestions and comments called for more revisions. My crit partners, bless their precious hearts, have read the story over and over and offered their thoughts. More revisions. I'm reading through the revision, revision, revisions and still making changes. 
 
Other stories are floating around in my head, wanting to be told. So, this week, I've decided no more. After this final crit and revisions, I'm sending my baby into the world. I hope she's treated kindly and finds a home. If not, we'll see. But for now, I've done all I can do. So I'll write that query and synopsis and say "Goodbye" at least for a while.
 
How about you? How many times do you revise a story?
 
Happy Writing!
 
Today is also WRITER'S REBEL CREED day.
This is S. A. Larsen's baby.
How am I doing?
 
I still write at least five days a week, sometime on the weekend too.
I believe in my abilities. I just have to work on them.
I hope to write something new one day if I ever finish my WIP.
Surprisingly, I am enjoying the revisions of my story. The characters are becoming more real to me, with more distinct personalities. I think that was part of the earlier problem.
Marketing: still working on that.
I've read a lot of books this year and reviewed most of them, for I know how important reviews are to a book. I enjoy hosting authors on my blog too.
 
And I do dream big.
What about your dreams?
 
Thanks for visiting with me today. Come back anytime and let me know what you're up to.
 


 

18 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right - at some point you just have to stop and go on to other projects 'coz we could definitely be revising forever... Let the baby leave the nest and get onto the next one. Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the last chapter. After I take a look at my critique partner's comments, the baby's going out into the world. Thanks, Lexa.

      Delete
  2. We have to know when to stop. Once I start changing things back to their original form, I know I've gone too far. Good luck with your latest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Alex. This is the final edit. No going back. Bye, bye, baby. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your latest project and I hope it will be a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nashville. We'll see how it turns out.

      Delete
  4. My problem with revising is similar to my research. Knowing when to stop and move on I usually wait for that little voice to yell at me saying "Enough Already"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me, Donna. I just keep on going like the Energizer Bunny. This is the end though. The story's going out as is.

      Delete
  5. I tend to revise a lot, but some projects just say "done" to me. Then again, those projects usually underwent a lot of revisions. :)

    Best of luck sending your baby into the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loni. Done is a good word. No matter how many revisions.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Alex, I sometimes revise to the point that I'm changing things back to the way they were. It sounds like you know that it's ready - we could probably go on forever doing revisions if we let ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could, Kimberly. Never satisfied. Always want to make it better. That's what editors are for though. :)

      Delete
  7. What an awesome post! We can all definitely relate to revising our manuscripts. :) I have revised as much as possible and once I think it is revised to the best of my abilities I am willing to send it off. Best of luck to you!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. Looking at publishers to decide where to send the story.

      Delete
  8. I probably go over mine 100 times. And I still don't think it's enough.

    ReplyDelete