Monday, November 24, 2014

RAIN, RAIN, AND MORE RAIN

Monday Musings
 
Now I know some of you are having so much snow you probably don't want to hear about any more wet stuff, but in our area we're in a five year drought. Our combined lakes are at roughly 20 percent capacity. We're limited to how much water we're allowed to use a month, and if we don't get rain soon, I don't know what the city will do.
Yesterday, the most beautiful rain fell. I mean lots and lots of rain. Enough to flood some of the streets and leave puddles in my driveway. I just stood at the window and watched the rain come down. I don't know the final total, but it was between three and four inches I think. Could be wrong.
I haven't been down to our stock pond to see how much it has now, but my son said earlier yesterday it was half full and the rain was still pouring down. Tomorrow, I hope to check it. The ponds been dry for nearly five years. No more fish or turtles, dragonflies or tadpoles. Hopefully, we'll see those again. Just a few more rains like yesterday.
 
I took this picture through the window which was really wet, but if you look closely to the right you'll see three little birds lined up on a tree branch. They were on the side away from the direction of the rain. Another bird clung to the window screen to keep dry.
 
After the Rain.
 
Birds, rain, a beautiful sunset. A good weekend.
 
Happy Reading!


10 comments:

  1. Cheer up, Spring is one day nearer,
    Hope the rain subsides soon, here today we have a lovely sunny day.
    Have a good day whatever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nashville. The rain was welcome. It helped the lakes a little but we need much more. Our pond is about half full, the first time that's happened in five years. The cat doesn't know what to think. He just looked at the water. :)

      Delete
  2. Hopefully you get enough rain to keep that drought away. That is one thing we have little chance of here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I know. Some areas are flooding and have nine feet of snow. Others are turning into a desert.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got some rain and hope more is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I hope so too. Pray for rain signs are all over town.

      Delete
  4. Yay for the good news! I hope it keeps up -- a 5-year drought is no joke. Have a good (and hopefully wet) week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was really appreciated, Lexa. No more, so far, but possibly next week.

      Delete
  5. Yeah! So wonderful to hear that you got some much needed rain! Awesome. Always nice to hear good news. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving and I hope more rain is in your future.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. The rain was greatly appreciated. Hoping for more soon.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

      Delete