Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IWSG, WRITERS REBEL, AND LUMPY DUCKLING

This is the First Wednesday of the Month. You know what that means. Right.
 
 
 
The Insecure Writer’s Support GroupPurpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

Alex J. Cavanaugh started the IWSG.

co-hosts for the November 5 posting of the IWSG will be LG Keltner, Donna Hole, Lisa Buie-Collard and SL Hennessy!

My post today is Face Your Fears.
 
 
The idea came to me last month when I had a table at the local library's annual Craft Show.
My table where I hoped to sell some books was on the second floor. The library is a beautiful building that once was home to one of the early settlers of the town. When he passed on, he left the home to the city with the stipulation that they make it a library. They did and it is quite fascinating.
 
Anyhow, back to my story. To reach the second floor I either had to climb the curved narrow stairs or ride the elevator. I hate small places like elevators, closets, and submarines, (that's another story) so I opted to use the stairs. That was okay, but then I decided I was silly to be afraid of an elevator, especially with all the books I had to take upstairs. So I swallowed a huge breath of air and stepped into the elevator with my books. I got to the top without fainting.
 
This reminded me of writing. Do you have fears when writing a story, whether a new one or one you've been working on for years?
 
Do you have fears when you send your baby off, to an agent or publisher? The baby you've pampered and loved for months, even years? Will they love it? Will they hate it? 
 
Do you have fears when they send you a contract to publish your book? What if no one reads it? What if they hate it? What if they give you horrible reviews?
 
Do you have fears when your precious story is published? Will it be ranked number ten jillion on Amazon?
 
Stop. Think. You wrote a story. How many people are always "going to" write a story, but never do. You sent your story off. Some people write, but stash their work in a box and never send it anywhere. You got a contract. Yay. You wouldn't have if you'd kept your story to yourself. And don't worry about your rankings. You've accomplished your goal. Many people never do.

So smile, say "I did it," and enjoy knowing that you faced your fears and overcame them. 
 
###
 
Also, today I have a special treat for you, dear readers. I want to share my review of my friend and crit partner's latest middle grade novel THE LUMPY DUCKLING: Another Weaver Tale. (I did not crit this story.) Here's Kai Strand's great tale.
 
THE LUMPY DUCKLING: Another Weaver Tale (Review)
By Kai Strand
 
Friendship is an important part of our lives. Why do we like one person and another person not so much? What do we look for in a friend? Their physical appearance? Their sense of humor? Their intelligence? Can we be friends with someone if we have nothing in common?
In Award Winning Author Kai Strand’s latest MG novel, THE LUMPY DUCKLING: Another Weaver Tale, Eloise Talemaker, AKA Wheezy, worries about her friendship with her best friend, Lawrence Nightingale, AKA Lumpy, since they seem to have nothing in common.  She knows what she likes about him but is amazed that he finds beauty in her freckles and wild red hair.  Then one day, Wheezy meets a gnome-elf named Unwanted (one of my favorite characters from the other Weaver Tale stories), who grants her one wish and you know the old saying “be careful what you wish for.” Well, Wheezy soon regrets what she wished for and blames herself for…. That’s all I’m saying because I don’t want to give anything away.
Author Kai Strand’s characters make you either love them or hope they get what they deserve. Yes, there are the kids that tease and ignore the unpopular kids like Wheezy and Lumpy.  Then there’s Lumpy. I have to say he’s my favorite character, but I won’t say why so you can see for yourself.
THE LUMPY DUCKLING: Another Weaver Tale is a story of friendship and looking inside a person for the beauty that’s there, rather than an outward beauty. It is a story of beginning teen love and promise. The stories the characters tell throughout the novel are fun and tell a lot about that character. And the letters between Wheezy and Lumpy will touch your heart. This novel would make a delightful story for school libraries and classrooms where the students could discuss what makes a good friend.
###
 
Amazon and other places where fine books are sold.
 
Last, but not Least it's WRITER'S REBELCREED  time. Thanks to Sheri Larsen for this.

 
I'm still writing five to six days a week. When I don't write, I feel lost.
I believe in my abilities, but am not reaching them, I think.
Haven't had time to write something new. Trying to finish the old.
I'm really finding my current revisions beautiful. They're making my story much stronger, I hope.
Still need to work on marketing. I just want to write.
I'm trying to encourage other writers in whatever way they need.
Still having fun reviewing books for other writers and hosting them on my blog.
 
What have you been up to lately?
 
Happy Reading and Writing.
 
 
 
 




 


24 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such great information (Lumpy Duck, gotta love the name!), and asking questions out loud that we all ask ourselves in this business. It's always good, I think to remind ourselves of what we are doing, but also to check in and see if our reasons live up to our expectations of ourselves. Love the Writer Rebel Creed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lisa. Lumpy's a sweet story. Yes, sometimes fear of failure gets in the way. Gotta watch it.

      Delete
  2. True! If we have a published book, we are way ahead of most of the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Alex. I should have added for those not published yet not to let fear keep them from submitting.

      Delete
  3. True indeed, getting it out there is more than millions will ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beverly, thank you for the lovely, lovely review!

    As for facing our fears, you really nailed it, didn't you? And "ranked number ten jillion" made me laugh. Thanks for the reminder of what we are accomplishing along the way.

    And thanks for being such a wonderful, wonderful YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Kai. Lumpy is so sweet. So is Wheezy. Great story.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Hello Donna, I can relate to Face Your Fears, I have a few not to do with writing but personal things that have happened in my life. You have without realising it have made it easier to face those fears and I thank you. I enjoyed the rest of your post and have become your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I have given you the wrong name , please accept my apologies.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
    2. Hi Nashvillecats. Thank you for letting me know that my post has helped you. That makes me so happy. Life is so difficult sometimes and it's often tough to think positive. I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for following me. So nice to meet you and to have a new friend.

      Delete
  6. Dear Nashvillecats. :) No problem. I go by many names. Glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those revisions you are working on are the most important part of writing, so even though you may not be creating something brand new right now, you are putting the sizzle in your bacon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Kim, putting the sizzle in your bacon. I hope so. :) Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post! I definitely know all about that fear of sending off work, and rankings are always a tough one :) It's good to keep some perspective on things though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meradeth. Part of a writer's life. :)

      Delete
  9. Great post, Beverley - I agree with you that getting to each of those stages is a great achievement that shouldn't be underestimated! And actually daring to send your finished product out for judgment is definitely not a small thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trisha. I hope it helps authors that aren't published too, by giving them courage to have faith in their work and send it off.

      Delete
  10. Yep, It must be an addiction, because I'm irritable until I get my fix of 'my words on a page.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, Rohn. I'm addicted. Must write. Forget cleaning and all that boring stuff. :)

      Delete
  11. I fell way short of the Writers Rebel Creed this year. This year had too many personal changes to focus on writing. Shame on me. Hopefully I'll do better next year. I think all aspects comes with its unique fears such as you've listed here. Thanks for the encouragement to get through it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our lives are not our own, dolorah. Then we do the best we can. And look ahead. You're welcome. I think it helps to know others suffer the same fears we do. Best of luck to you.

      Delete
  12. Beverly, what a great post about facing one's fears. Kai's book sounds really cute. Thanks for sharing about it. You are a wonderful support to so many writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susanne. Kai's story is adorable with a sweet message about friendship too. I hope I can help others. So many people have helped me. Have a great week.

      Delete