Friday, November 28, 2014

DARBY KAYE AND THE STAG LORD BOOK TOUR

Friday Fun
 Help me welcome Award Winning Author Darby Kaye (aka Darby Karchut) today, with a new novel a bit different from her earlier novels.
 
 
Oh, boy! Look at that eye!
 
 
THE STAG LORD
Urban Fantasy for Adults
 
Synopsis: "On the run across America from a vengeful shape-shifter, Bannerman "Bann" Boru has only one thing on his mind: keeping himself and his young son, Cor, alive.

At any cost.

Until he meets Shay Doyle, healer and member of a secret group of immortal Celtic warriors, the Tuatha de Danaan, living in modern-day Colorado. When Cor is injured, Bannerman is forced to accept her help. He quickly realizes that the golden-haired healer is shield-maiden tough and can hold her own on the field of battle with the big boys. And Shay soon discovers that there is more to Bann than meets the eye.


Learn more about Darby Kaye and The Stag Lord
 
Here is the Netgalley link: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/show/id/56542

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stag-Lord-Bannerman-Boru/dp/1939392411/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415772458&sr=1-1&keywords=the+stag+lord

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-s
tag-lord-darby-kaye/1119401216?ean=9781939392411&itm=1&usri=9781939392411&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-GwEz7vxblVU-_-10:1&r=1, 1

Darby's website: http://www.darbykarchut.com
 
Darby was also kind enough to write a guest post for us. Here's what she has to say about turning out so many books a year.
 
 
 I’ve always approached my writing as a profession. And, like any profession, it has its deadlines and commitments. Commitments to my publishing team as well as commitments to my readers.
 
Some of these helpful hints listed below I have gleaned from other authors, while others, I have discovered on my own. Each writer should use what works for him or her. Writing is an individual process – it doesn’t matter how you get to the end of your book, just keep writing.
 
  • Write five days a week and try to hit 1,000 words a day. 20 weeks = 100,000 words = an adult novel.
  • Or write five days a week and try to hit 500 words a day.  20 weeks = 50,000 words = a middle grade novel
  • Write every day. As many words as you can. 
  • Write badly. You can always fix stuff later.
  • Read the last two chapters you wrote to get you warmed up, then start writing
  • Write whenever you have a 15 minute block of time
  • Stop each day in the middle of a scene that you are excited about – that will give you momentum when you come back to it tomorrow. I think it was Hemingway who did this.
  • If you have do research, just tag that spot, and keep writing your quota for the day. Do the research later, unless you absolutely need it to move the story forward
  • Write the big scenes first, then fill in around them.
  • Or write the ending first, then the beginning, then fill in the middle.
 
I hope some of these are helpful. I would be curious to hear other writers’ suggestions.

So would I because I write so sloooowww.
 
Here are my thoughts on THE STAG LORD.
 
THE STAG LORD Review
By Darby Kaye
 
Have you ever known a family that loved one another so much they’d do almost anything for the others, even to the point of death? Have you ever read a book with characters that made you want to be a member of their family because you knew no matter what was happening in your life, they had your back, no matter the cost?   
If you’d like to meet a family like the above, then Award Winning Author Darby Kaye’s debut novel for adults, THE STAG LORD, is exactly what you need. Ms. Kaye, who also writes MG and YA novels under the name of Darby Karchut, has entered a new world with her writing in a big way, with a novel that will touch your heart and leave you wanting more. Bannerman Boru, AKA Bann, and his eight-year-old son, Cor, want to get away from the horror of his wife’s death and the betrayal of his people. Fate seems to have other plans for Bann when he meets Shay Doyle, a healer and Fey. Bann is also Fey, and they are soon in a battle to save Cor’s life.
One of the things I really like about THE STAG LORD is the family ties. Shay has a slew of cousins and relatives that all pull together to help the boy and man they’ve just met. The author adds a romance between Shay and Bann that helps to gentle the violence in the story.  Max, the dog, who plays an important role, is one of my favorite characters. What I love most in this novel is the father, son relationship between Bann and Cor. He’s not a perfect father. He makes mistakes and admits he does, but his son is Bann’s top priority.
I cried. I laughed. I held my breath. Darby Kaye did a beautiful job with descriptions of the monsters, the land, and also the grisly scenes.  The sequel is due out in December, 2015. What? We have to wait a whole year?
###
Happy Reading! Have a great weekend.
 
 

 


14 comments:

  1. Oh, Beverly, your line "I cried. I laughed. I held my breath." is exactly why we writers write, isn't it. Thank you so much for being part of the Street Team and helping get the word out about Bann and company. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Darby. I'm excited to be on your Street Team and to see where this story goes in the follow-up. Thanks for introducing us to Bann and Cor, characters I'll always remember and love. Shay too, and Max. :)

      Delete
  2. haha that eye does look to be staring back at me. A great review to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darby loves to write about the Celts, huh? It's interesting she decided on a pen name for the adult novel. I loved the review, think the book sounds very exciting, and wish Darby much success! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darby's books have made me like Celtic Mythology, Lexa. I really hadn't read much of it before. Now I'm looking forward to the next book because a lot of questions are left hanging. :)

      Delete
  4. The Stag Lord does have a cover that stops you in your tracks. That eye is right! Sounds like a great book based on your review. I also liked the author tips. I need to hear advice about continuing to write and leaving yourself notes about what to research or fix. I keep making progress in that direction- but every reminder helps. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess, Glad my review helped. I need author tips also because sometimes I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Keep on making progress. :)

      Delete
  5. I also write slow. I'm going to try to write 500 words every day. That should be doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting a manageable goal is good, Vanessa. Sometimes I think we try to do too much (at least in my case) and get discouraged. Darby's tips help. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. An excellent post sorry I am behind commenting but have domestic problems.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashville, I hope your problems are soon solved. Thanks for stopping by. Blessings for a good week.

      Delete
  7. Darby has a knack for writing monsters that make you want to run and hide. Looking forward to reading this latest one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darby does have a way with words, Lee. Scary monsters or hunky guys. :)

      Delete