Wednesday, October 1, 2014

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP AND REBEL WRITER

October 1, the first Wednesday of the month. You know what that means. Right.
INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP 
 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG. His awesome co-hosts for the October 1 special anniversary posting of the IWSG will be Kristin Smith, Elsie, Suzanne Furness, and Fundy Blue!
 
Today, I'm talking about marketing, not my favorite subject but necessary in the writing world.
 
 

FIVE TIPS ON MARKETING YOUR NOVEL

Beverly Stowe McClure, author of stories for children and teens.
 
I’ve tried many different ways to market my books through the years, none of them especially successful. So why am I writing this article? Well, they said they already had a lot of articles on “Writing,” and I know nothing about “Publishing,” which leaves “Marketing.”  Since my current methods of marketing are pitiful, let’s take a look at what I hope to do this coming year, instead of what I’ve done in the past.
 
One: I will continue to do a Cover Reveal on my blog for a new book and also to ask other authors for their help spreading the word. Aren’t authors wonderful? They’re always so supportive. Character interviews are fun too, as are author guest posts. Nothing new there.
 
Two: Something new I hope to try this year is finding blogs, magazines, You Tube and other places where I can get acquainted with my audience—children and/or teens—and parents, teachers and others that buy books for young readers. Of course I have the big three: Face Book, Google + and Twitter. I can’t honestly say they’ve helped my sales, maybe a little, but not as much as I had hoped.
 
Three: Do you have a Media Kit? I do, but I plan to make a new one with the help of one of my publishers who is going to show her authors what exactly we need in our kit.
 


Four: The past few years I was caregiver for my husband and left him alone very seldom so I did nothing at the schools. This year, I’ve made brochures for my programs and workshops and hope to do a few school visits and leave books and hopefully orders for more with the students, but mostly I want to have fun with the boys and girls. My writing means more to me than just an income.
 
Five: Probably the best marketing is word-of-mouth, which is hard for me. I hope to do better this year. The greatest success I’ve had came from recommendations of my books by another author. When she listed my historical novel, along with other books she recommended, in one of her novels, I saw my sales at Amazon spike.
 
These are some ideas I’m trying this year. What works for one writer might not work for another, but remember, never give up. The main goal with my writing and marketing is to have fun. I hope you do too.

Permission is granted to use this article in the IWSG Anthology. Marketing Category.
 
 It's also time for WRITER'S REBEL CREED 2014.
 
 
Mostly what I've done this past month is answer interviews and write guest posts for my book tour.
 
I've also read several books and written reviews for authors. Need to get those reviews posted.
 
Learn more about  WRITER'S REBEL CREED at S A Larsen's blog.
 
What have you been up to?

Happy Reading!
 
 

  

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing what's worked and what hasn't. I find the idea of marketing intimidating, but I know I'll have to face it sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara. Yes, marketing is part of the writing world. We do survive. :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah twitter works a little but I find facebook and Google + do a whole lot of nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your marketing ideas with us, I am sure they will prove very useful. I agree it is important to connect with your audience and by visiting schools you will find more fans I'm sure. I wish you the very best of luck with your plans.

    Great to visit you today as co-host of IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Suzanne. I don't think I'll ever get it right, but I try. Thanks for the best of luck wishes. Schools, here I come. Maybe.

      Delete
  4. It's always good to have a plan, Beverly. Thanks for sharing yours. I, too, struggle with marketing and how to best use my time. I always feel like it's another avenue to get rejected (when you put yourself out there and contact schools or bookstores or book bloggers and they either don't get back to you or give you a polite 'no thanks'), but I keep plugging along. You're always welcome on my blog to guest post or if you want me to help out with your cover reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do much better with a plan, Katie. Otherwise, I wander around doing nothing. Yes, I feel rejected too when the schools or other places don't bother to answer. I hope to make personal visits to the librarians. That way they can't totally ignore me. Or can the? :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks, Katie, for the blog invite. I'd love to visit you. Will be in touch.

      Delete
  5. I bet the school visits will be a big boon! Let us know how those go.
    Great list of things to try. Thanks for contributing to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are, Alex. I'm excited about reading the book. Hearing what other authors do will be great and educational too.

      Delete
  6. Two and five are things in particular I would like to do better. Good luck with your marketing plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie. Those are the ones I plan to focus on this coming year. Thanks. Good luck with yours too.

      Delete
  7. I already know marketing will be hard for me. I'm terrible at "selling" myself (though not in job interviews, so maybe that's how I need to start viewing it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, Shannon, to let readers get to "know" you then work on promoting your books as your job.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Beverly. Thanks for sharing your marketing tips. There were several authors who made school visits when my son was in elementary school. The kids always looked forward to the assemblies. I wish you well with the school visits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanne. I should have been doing school visits sooner, but it's never too late, I hope. :)

      Delete