Friday, October 17, 2014

DARBY KARCHUT'S REVIEW OF STAR

Friday Fun.
Another week has flown past. I hope you've had a good one and are ready for a fun weekend.
Today I have a review for  STAR OF THE TEAM from my dear friend, Award Winning Author Darby Karchut. A good review from Darby is priceless. She says I can use the review whenever I want to. I want to now. When you read it, I think you'll see why I'm so happy.
 
Darby's Review
 
I've been waiting to read this book for a long time! Once again, Beverly Stowe McClure has written another winning middle grade story.
As with all of McClure's books, the characters are well-rounded and multi-layered. Kate, her family and friends, and even Emily, her enemy (or is she?) all protray typical pre-teen behavior, both enduring and frustrating. Simon, in particualar, is a delight. I love his willingness to try new things, even if he isn't very good at them - a great lesson for all of us.
While the plot revolves around Kate's dream of being the star of her basketball team, it is what Kate learns about herself and other people, that make this such a delightful read. And I have to say, I had to laugh at Kate's creative use of a face mask. Cracked me up!
The only problem I had with the book is that it's too short. I have quickly grown attached to the characters and I want to read more about them. This is my not-so-subtle plug to the author to write a sequel. Hint, hint. The other thing I like about the book is the emphsis of girls and sports. Yes, please - more books like this! McClure even had some boys on the girls' teams and vice versus.
Star of the Team is a terrific book for both girls and boys, espcially those that enjoy basketball. It would make a great addition to any school or classroom library.
Highly recommended.
 
###
 
You see why I'm floating on clouds. This is the second great review.
 
Star of the Team is available at:  Amazon and Barnes and Noble
 
Thank you, Darby.
 
Darby Karchut is an award-winning author, dreamer, and compulsive dawn greeter. She's been known to run in blizzards and bike in lightning storms. When not dodging death by Colorado, Darby writes suburban fantasy for tweens, teens, and adults, and is now trying her hand at contemporary romance. She'd love to talk with you. No. Seriously. She would.
 
Visit Darby at her blog.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Reading!


10 comments:

  1. An awesome review indeed, congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS review! I am sure reading it makes you float on air every time. :) So excited for you!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Jess, it does. I'm so happy with the good response to the book. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Great review, Darby! I can definitely identify with Simon. I'm always blundering into new and interesting things, never letting my nerves get the best of me - and boy, do I fail a LOT! But that's the way you learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon is one of my favorite characters, Lexa. You and he would get along just fine. :) (I just love Darby's review.)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi, Patsy. Darby has a knack for finding the true meaning of a story. I love her reviews. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Something I forgot to mention is that learned more about basketball. I've never played, so a lot of this was new to me. Love learning new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot too, Darby. Thought I had it right. Did a lot of research since I never played basketball either. My editor pointed out many mistakes. He gets the credit. I'm so thankful he knows the sport. :)

      Delete