Wednesday, September 3, 2014

IWSG AND WRITER'S REBEL CREEED

It's that time again. The first Wednesday of the month. Insecure Writer's Support Group.
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Alex J. Cavanaugh is the awesome creator of the group. His awesome co-hosts for the September 3 posting of the IWSG will be Laura at My Baffling Brain, mark Koopmans, Shah Wharton, and Sheena-Kay Graham.
And it's our three year anniversary!


 Be sure to visit theInsecure Writer’s Support Group Website!!!


Am I insecure? Not really. Well, maybe a little. I'm revising my YA story after having an editor read it. She had a lot of things to say, good things, and also things that aren't working. Now, I don't have to change anything, but the market is so tough, so many great stories are being submitted to agents and publishers, that I want this story to have a chance. So I'm considering her comments seriously. I want readers to love my characters. I want the story to speak to them. Revising shouldn't be too difficult, should it? Nah. Umm, yes. Because, you see, when I take out certain scenes, everything changes. But you know, I think it will be better in the end. Then I won't be insecure, until I send it out.

How about you? How's your WIP coming along? Have you ever made huge changes in a manuscript?




Next on my agenda today is the WRITER'S REBEL CREED 2014. This is Awesome Sheri Larsen's brilliant idea.
Let's see how I'm doing here.

1. Yes, I'm still writing Monday through Saturday.
2. Believing in my abilities comes and goes, depending on what I'm working on and whether it's running smoothly or not.
3. I guess I'm fearless or I wouldn't be revising a story that I thought was finished and pretty good.
4. Revisions are beautiful. Truly, I am liking the story better since I'm trying to make my characters deeper, where we care about them more.
5. Those marketing skills again. Working on that.
6. I'm participating in a bunch of tours during the next three months for authors with new books coming out. This fall and winter is sure going to be busy, cause I have a tour of my own in September, that is if I get the interviews to the hostess in time..
7. I'm also on three different author's street teams, which is turning out to be lots of fun and keeping me busy. Is a street team kind of like a gang?  Just kidding.

Anyhow, this is my world. Will be posting about my tour soon.

Happy Reading and Writing.
 
 


16 comments:

  1. Terrific, inspiring and humorous post! Good luck with your revision and I look forward to your tour schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I haven't had a chance to read September's newsletter yet. Saving it for this evening after I catch up.

      Delete
  2. I have two MGs that I've made changes to. In one of them I had to take out an entire chapter - it consisted of only the parents and what they were doing in their attempts to find the 'missing kids.' I was told not to do that in a MG book. So, I took out the chapter and worked some of the deleted info into the next chapter when the kids were found. And, I must admit, it is better, Even though I really liked the chapter I deleted. As for feeling insecure - all the time. I'm trying my best, and like my manuscripts, but the competition is so intense out there and publishers don't like to take chances on unpublished authors. So, I keep working to make my stories better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure hurts to cut out our words, doesn't it, Janet? That's what the editor told me. She said publishers receive so many manuscripts yours has to have something special, to stand out from the others. Good luck with your stories.

      Delete
  3. That is a pain in the butt when you take something out and everything changes, but sometimes it has to be done, sometimes it doesn't though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Pat. I'm questioning some of the changes, but some make sense. We'll see how it turns out.

      Delete
  4. Revisions that big can be daunting. Go with your gut instinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to, Alex. The editor knows the market so I am thinking about what she says. Some changes I'll make. Others probably not.

      Delete
  5. I've shredded one manuscript and that paid off so well, that I feel much more at ease taking out things that don't work. Good luck. I'm sure this book will be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for shredded manuscripts. Good for you, clee. Thanks. I hope you're right.

      Delete
  6. Big editing changes can be intimidating. But as long as you agree that what's recommended would make a better book, then you sort of have to do it, right? Love the Writer's Rebel Creed. It's a good way to check in with yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the comments make sense, right, Gwen. The Writer's Creed does make me look at what I'm doing or should be doing.

      Delete
  7. Beverly, best wishes with your book revisions and your upcoming book tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susanne. Revisions are necessary. I've answered almost all of the interviews for the tour. A couple to go. Should be fun.

      Delete
  8. Hope your next book surpasses even your expectations, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete