Monday, August 18, 2014

CHEERS, CHOCOLATE, AND OTHER DISASTERS REVIEW

MONDAY MUSINGS
 
Sunday, I saw three young scissor-tails in the mesquite tree.
A couple of cardinals and doves were also perched in the branches.
Their little beaks hung open. The temperature was 100.
I gave them fresh water.
 
Awhile back I spotlighted Mikki Sadil and her novels. Today I'm reviewing her MG/Tween novel CHEERS, CHOCOLATE, AND OTHER DISASTERS.
 
This is such a lovely cover and it hints at what's inside the book.
 
CHEERS, CHOCOLATE, AND OTHER DISASTERS Review
By Mikki Sadil
The middle school years. The years when one day you have a best friend, the next day your best friend has a different best friend. These are the years of confusion, when every event in your life is a major catastrophe. The years you want to forget.
Author Mikki Sadil’s MG/Tween e-novel, CHEERS, CHOCOLATE, AND OTHER DISASTERS, is a great example of the meaning of true friendship. Alyson Joanne, aka AJ and her best friends, Julie and Jaime, plan to try out for the cheerleading squad. Enter the new girl in school, Celine, and AJ’s once best friends are now Celine’s best friends, and they’ll try out together, leaving AJ on the team with losers Amberley and Lisa. Not only has AJ lost her best friends, her parents are getting a divorce, and her mare that she loves dearly comes down with the colic. That’s a lot for a girl to deal with.
The author has developed her characters realistically as AJ and the other girls struggle with the meaning of true friendship, their own identities, and the fact that some things in life are more important than cheerleading. As I read CHEERS, CHOCOLATE, AND OTHER DISASTERS, my thoughts went back to my middle grade years, the insecurities, the need for friends, and the disappointments when we didn’t make cheerleader or majorette or whatever else we wanted to be. Ms. Sadil’s story is about discovering what’s really important in life and understanding that things do not always turn out the way one hopes.
This book would make a great addition to middle-school libraries and classrooms as well as your home town library. And don’t forget your personal library.
 ###
 
BIO: MIKKI SADIL, AUTHOR
From the time I published my first poem at age ten, and first short story two  years later, I’ve had a passion for writing. As so often happens when you are young, however, life got in the way and I didn’t write much during the years of college, marriage and children, university teaching, and a divorce and remarriage. After my husband and I retired from twenty-two years of breeding and training Appaloosa horses, I returned to writing. My stories and articles have been featured in national children’s magazines, in online magazines, in an educational website, and in an anthology of horror stories for teens. My debut novel, The Freedom Thief, came out in November, 2013, and is an historical adventure for boys (mostly) age ten to thirteen, set in pre-Civil War Kentucky.  Cheers, Chocolate, and Other Disasters is a contemporary novel about psychological bullying, and is for girls (mostly) age ten to thirteen.
 I live on the Central Coast of California with my awesome husband and our beloved zoo of one way-too-smart Corgi, Dylan, one fat Siamese, Mr. Beaujangles, and one bossy African Gray Parrot, Shadow.
Happy Reading.
 
 


20 comments:

  1. At a hundred degrees, I'd want some water as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Alex. I don't know how the birds survive, but they do. I keep them supplied with water, as does my son.

      Delete
  2. Things sure can go a whole other way in life, but that is life. Whew to 100 degrees too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat, I often wonder why my ancestors moved to this part of Texas. I know. Free land. :) They didn't know about the heat.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Mikki Sadil's CHEERS, CHOCOLATE, AND OTHER DISASTERS novel yet, but if it is as good as The Freedom Thief, and it sounds like it most definitely is, I know I will be in for a wonderful read.

    Best wishes, Mikki. Great review, Beverly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Freedom Thief, Susan, but hope to soon. Cheers is a great story.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Susan. Cheers, Chocolate, and Other Disasters began with a memory from my own days as a junior high student ( middle grader today), and went on from there. More imagination than not, but a little bit of true life woven in, also!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a book that middle schoolers will definitely be able to relate to (as well as those that have been through middle school). It sounds liker a great read. Thanks for the introduction to the book and Mikki. Wishing her the best of luck!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers does have a lot of the teen angst of middle grade years, Jess. A part of growing up. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jess, for your comment. I do hope that middle grade girls will read the book, and will understand that you CAN deal with what life brings during those years, and come out on top. Not the best years in most girls' lives, but not the worst either.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great read, Beverly. It's on my TBR. I love the cover art, too. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helena, for your comment. I LOVE the cover! Cora of Cora Graphics did it. Hope you do enjoy the book when you have the time to read it.

      Delete
    2. It is a catchy cover, Helena. I think you'll enjoy the story.

      Delete
  6. Beverly, thanks so much for the review. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mikki. It's a lovely story. So true to life. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Triple digit temps? I'm glad we aren't having that kind of summer. That was so sweet of you to provide water for all the little critters.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Cheers, Chocolate, and Other Disasters. Brought back memories of my MG years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, I know, Susanne. Thank heavens for air conditioning.
      The story reminded me of those years too. Some good, some not so much.

      Delete
  8. I love the title and I enjoy friendship stories. So important at that age, any age really.

    ReplyDelete