Wednesday, July 2, 2014

INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP-WRITER'S REBEL CREED

It's the first Wednesday of July. Time for the INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
 
This group is Alex J. Cavanaugh's idea, and a good one it is.
 
Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
His awesome co-hosts for the July 2 posting of the IWSG will be Krista McLaughlin, Kim Van Sickler, Heather Gardner, and Hart Johnson!
My topic is
 
CHANGE CAN BE GOOD.
 
As I've mentioned before, I'm a very slow writer. It takes me months and years to complete a story. Until lately, that is. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try Fast Drafting. Now, I don't care for change. I'm uncomfortable with change, but something had to happen or I'd never finish my stories. So I kept hearing about Fast Drafting and thought maybe I'd try it. I think it's helping.
 
This Tuesday I finished my Pirate sequel (still need a title). I had spent weeks working on it, getting nowhere. After two weeks, it's done. There will be major revisions, of course. Filling in details for characters and the setting. But I have something to work with instead of a blank screen. A couple of scenes I hadn't even dreamed of made their appearance. I like them.
 
Wednesday, I plan to take the historical fiction novel I've been looking at for years and Fast Draft it. Goal is to finish by the end of July, then go back to the pirate story and revise it.
 
Sometimes stepping out of our comfort zone is the right thing to do. I think it is for me.
 
How about you? Do you like to try new approaches to your writing? Have you been successful doing so?
 
 
 
WRITER'S REBEL CREED 2014
 
This is Sheri Larsen's Baby. Check out her blog.
 
 
Let's see how I'm Doing Here.
 
1. Yep. If I miss a day, I'm disoriented all day.
 
2. Now that I'm "finishing" rough drafts I think that I can revise them satisfactorily.
 
3. I have a new idea jotted down that will be different from what I normally write.
 
4. Yes, revisions are beautiful.
 
5. Going to work on marketing by making brochures to send to schools and libraries and maybe starting a newsletter. Need Teacher Guides too.
 
6. I've read several great books lately and am working hard to review them.
 
7. I enjoy posting cover reveals, spotlights, and giveaways for other writers, so let me know if you have anything.
 
 
Happy Reading and Writing!
 





22 comments:

  1. I'm kind of a slow writer, too. And it seems like all my writing friends are speed demons! Lol.
    That's great that trying something new is working so well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Rachel. My friends zip though their stories, while I crawl through mine. Hoping that changes. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. New ways are always good to try because they may just speed things up, like they did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing about it, Pat. I couldn't write much slower than I did, so I had to improve. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like what happened after I finished my latest manuscript.
    I'm a slow writer. I need the push of NaNo or something to get anything written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's it, Alex. The motivation to get the story "finished."

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've got some serious writing ahead. And fast, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of fast drafting. Is it a book or just a method? Sounds like it's working for you! 2 weeks for a draft? That's great! I might have to check it out, because I'm pretty slow with my writing too.

    Loni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Loni. It's just a method of writing, like basically putting down thoughts. I'll have to go back and add details, but the idea is down. It's helping me organize the story. I had written quite a bit of the story before trying the Fast Drafting, so I maybe had only half of it left to do.

      Delete
  6. Congrats, Beverly! I've been revising (or saying I'm revising) the same novel for a year. I need to get my butt in gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. That's the way I was. I'd spend all day on one page, getting nowhere. I had to do something to get that first draft finished. (My historical I started on 4 years ago.)

      Delete
  7. I discovered fast drafting AFTER struggling thru at least half of my WIP. Now I know how to do it, I just need to sit down and write. That's my problem. The story is there, now just tell it!! I did try and write scenes on this latest WIP that I knew I wanted in the story instead of starting at the beginning and working thru to the end. Well, that new method for me didn't work at all. But that doesn't mean I won't stop trying to find the magic key to writing that third mystery. Could it actually be to just sit down and write it?? LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I've never tried writing scenes from the middle of a story, J. Q. I pretty much have to go in a straight line. Beginning to end. This Fast Drafting is helping me to come up with scenes, like what would happen next. Lots of work left to be down, but I have the blueprint, so I think revisions should go easier. I hope. :) Yep. I have to make myself sit down and write sometimes too. It usually works.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I too moan about how long writing takes, and I've never tried fast drafting. So as you said in the comments above, it's just putting down thoughts without lots of details and filling the details in later? Sometimes I do get down a line or two ahead of myself in the chapter so I remember where I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. I had not tried it either until a few weeks ago. Yes, that's how I do it. I just write down thoughts of what might happen. It doesn't have to be complete. Will fill in details later. Others may do it differently. I looked up the way some people fast draft and printed their ways. There will be lots of revision, but at least I have a rough scene started. Anxious to see how the revisions go.

      Delete
  9. You've taken to fast drafting like a duck to water! Congrats on finishing the sequel so quickly! That's great news! You should be proud. I tried to fast draft in Jan. It took me two months and I only finished about 60%. I had to stop because there were so many plot holes and mistakes, there was no point in finishing a draft that needed drastic changes. During the two weeks you fast-drafted, I edited one chapter...and I'm not done. I'm still the super-slow writing champion! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Lexa. Yes, and I'm a terrible swimmer. There's a lot of revising to do still. Working on the historical now. Hope it runs smoothly. I'll race you to see who's the slowest. :)

      Delete
  10. Fast drafting! Sounds like it could be very productive, and it might be just what you need. I think you are smart to try new approaches. You never know until you try something if it can help you or not. Keeping an open mind and being willing to experiment only exposes you to new ideas and helps you figure out what works best for you. There is no downside! Good luck with the pirate sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's productive, Kim. I need something to speed me up. Coffee doesn't work. You're right. You have to try new things. So far, I'm liking this. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. Oh, wow, how do I join this group. Blows me away. I start out so good & end up with nothing much for the week. I'm a slow reader, so I can't do many reviews. I can't even do my edits very well. Slugging along ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. It's easy to join, Go to this link: http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/p/the-insecure-writers-support-group.html. You''ll see information and a list of members. Scroll to the bottom of the list and there's a link to join. This is a great group. Welcome.

      Delete