Wednesday, June 4, 2014

INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP & WRITER'S REBEL CREED

 
It's the first Wednesday in June and time once again for The Insecure Writer's Support Group.
 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
 
This is awesome Alex  J. Cavanaugh's great idea
His awesome co-hosts for the June 4 posting of the IWSG will be C. Lee McKenzie, Tracy Jo, Melanie Schulz, and LG Keltner!
 
LITTLE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT
 
As I was trying to decide what to write about today, I realized I have few complaints. Sure, I'm still waiting on books to be published. That's already been discussed. It's out of my hands, so why worry? I'm trying a new process--fast drafting--to see if I can finish a story in a year or less rather than two or three years. I don't know if it will help since I just started, but it seems to be working so far. So, I guess my advice today is enjoy your writing and don't stress out over delays, crummy first drafts, or writing a query letter and synopsis. Did I mention that's also what I'm doing now? Whoever invented the query letter and synopsis is probably laughing at mine at this moment. Well, let them try writing one.
 
Just kidding. Sort of.  
 
Do you Fast Draft your stories? Does it help?
 
Let's see how I'm doing on my WRITER'S REBEL CREED
 
 
This is S. A. Larsen's idea.
 
1. Regular writing. Monday through Friday I write at least two hours a day. Sometimes I write on Saturday.
2. Belief in my abilities. Most of the time.
3. Fearless to write something new. I have an idea but it will have to wait.
4. Trust in the beauty of revisions. Oh, yeah. My first drafts are ugly.
5. Better my marketing skills. Working on it.
6. Give back to my writing community. I read and review their books, interview authors, and spotlight their books and cover reveals, as well as Tweeting and Face Booking and Googling.
7. Support other writers. I think that's about the same as #6. Or is it different?
8. Dream Big. Oh, yeah.
 
Happy Reading and Writing
 
 






12 comments:

  1. I find I write better when I can plow through a story quickly. Which worries me as the one I'm working on now has been taking a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm trying to do now, Alex. Always before every sentence had to be perfect. I couldn't go on unless it was. The teacher in me, I guess. Now, just write. I bet your new story will turn out just great.

      Delete
  2. I tried 'just write' to see how it went. (I usually poke along, making sure everything is as good as I can make it. It's time-consuming and fiddly. I am not sure how I got into that mode of writing, since it's fairly recent.) At any rate, since I was in a time crunch I said (under my breath) "Okay, Wilder: Just Spit It Out!

    What I wrote needed tweaking, naturally, but it flowed, it caught ideas as they flashed across my mind, and it was very good to have the material to work with at my leisure. I think that's rather like what you described, and I am sold on it.

    (Your work looks truly wonderful)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Diana. I'm glad it's working for you. It does sound like what I'm trying to do. I'm hoping my writing will flow smoother and the ideas will come faster than before.

      Delete
  3. I get the story and go go go, then worry about the editing crap later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, go, go is what I'm hoping to do, Pat. Then worry about the small stuff later.

      Delete
  4. Love your creed! What a great post and so positive, it made me smile. I found you through IWSG. I am co-hosting this month and having a great time meeting new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy. Nice to meet you. Thanks. A smile is always good. :) Hopping over to your site now. Thanks for co-hosting.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are doing a great job with the Writer's Rebel Creed, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, Kelly. :) Some days are better than others. You know how that goes.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Beverly. I hope you will keep us posted on how fast drafting works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Susanne. So far, it's really making me think about my story, where it's going, and the scenes I need to get there. Very rough draft, but at least I have something to work with, rather than a blank head. :)

      Delete