Wednesday, April 2, 2014

INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP

http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/p/the-insecure-writers-support-group.html

It's the first Wednesday in April, time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

 Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
To visit all of the bloggers that are  participating in the Blog Hop go to
Co-hosts for the April 2 posting of the IWSG will be Hart Johnson, Chemist Ken, Candilynn Fite, Terri Rochenski, Clare Dugmore, and Lilica Blake!
 
 
What are you insecure about lately?

I've been thinking about things over which I have no or little control. If you're like me, I want to do things when I want to do them. I write my story and revise and revise, forever it seems. Most of the time, the writing is in my control. How much I write a day depends on other obligations, of course.

Then comes the big day when the story that I've spent months and even years getting just right is "finished" and ready for the next step. So I send it to a publisher or agent, my fingers crossed that they will love my characters as much as I love them.

Now, my manuscript is out of my control. I can either haunt my computer or mailbox, waiting for a reply or I can get busy on my next work. Since I'm hyper and multi-task anyway, I prefer to work and not think about how many hours, days, and weeks my baby has been gone.

Then, yay! The publisher loves my story. Contract is in the mail. Edits next. Guess what. Yep! The timing is pretty much out of my control too. I'm not the only author with edits needed, I remind myself.

A cover is in the works. Yep! Out of my control. The fabulous illustrator has other covers and illustrations.

You know what though. When I'm finally holding that beautiful book in my hands, I forget all the things that were out of my control, because someone who knows more than I do was taking care of my story.

Thanks to all you fabulous publishers, illustrators, editors, first readers, printers and everyone involved in creating a book. You rock.



18 comments:

  1. We can't control everything indeed, even though the cat tries too haha and we all needs such things. Good to work on the next one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, my cats seem to control me pretty much. Feed me, they say. Let me outside. Brush my fur. And I do. :)

      Delete
  2. Well said! We can't control those things, just hope that those who are in control take as much care with it as we did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet holding that beautiful book in your hands must be pure bliss! It's smart to figure out none of it is really in our control. (Not so much fun for a control freak like me!)

    Happy IWSG post day. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome experience, Candilynn. Yeah, I like to be in control too. :)
      Thanks. Same to you.

      Delete
  4. So much slips out of our control once we let that manuscript go. Very scary, but part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, C Lee. Thankfully, our stories are usually in good hands.

      Delete
  5. All we can control, is writing the best we can. And then, making sure the writing really is the very best. This is a great reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Liza. And when we think the writing is the best, something pops up that needs fixing. :) Finally, it's the best we can make it.
      You're welcome.

      Delete
  6. I like to be in control too but sometimes you have to trust that the people around will do an excellent job -- control what's in your control, leave the rest to others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, E. E. And our publishers and editors do a marvelous job, which makes it silly to worry. :)

      Delete
  7. yep, there's so much out of our control. It's so worth it in the end though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Lynda. Without the experts I'd be in deep trouble.

      Delete
  8. This made me laugh, Beverly, because it's me! Too bad we weren't closer in area and we could get through those not in control days. Have a great one. Thanks for visiting my post at IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we're not alone, Joylene. Let's hope for a lot of days where we are in control, or at least think we are. Have a great day, too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. That's probably why so many self-publish, but there are a lot of things out of one's control then, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Diane. In the end, I guess we accept what we can control and hope for the rest. :)

      Delete