Wednesday, April 16, 2014

APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH

Although I'm not a poet, I enjoy reading poetry. The 2014 poster below is designed by Chip Kidd. It features the lines "Failing to fetch me at first Keep encouraged,/ Missing me one place search another,/ I stop somewhere waiting for you." from Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself."
 
 
 
 
Now, I'm very shyly going to share the one poem I've had published with you. It was written when I was in the eighth grade for a class assignment. The teacher sent my poem to a high school anthology and it was published in Young America Sings.
 
STARS
 
I often lie awake at night,
Watching stars that are so bright.
They sparkle and twinkle in the cool night air,
And look like ladies with lovely golden hair.
You see the little dipper and the big dipper too,
Away up in the deep dark blue,
But then come the morning rays of light
And all the stars are gone until tonight.
 
Beverly Stowe - Zundelowitz Jr. H. S
 
 
 
Happy Reading! 


14 comments:

  1. Nice poem. Congratulations on the publication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. That was many moons ago. I still have the book though. :)

      Delete
  2. Great starry flow at your show, a star indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks, Pat. I still watch the stars today. :)

      Delete
  3. Aww. That's whimsical, romantic, and entirely adorable! No need to be shy, Beverly. We love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. I really only wrote the poem to pass English. :) Love you all too. (Yeah, you all shows I'm a Texan.)

      Delete
  4. That's really nice! I couldn't write that now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet piece of poetry, Beverly. Guess you were destined to write from an early age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, clee. It's funny, but I never wanted to be a writer. I didn't even like to read. Life sometimes surprises us, though.

      Delete
  6. Happy National Poetry Month! Thanks for sharing your poem with us. It is so sweet.:0 I started writing poetry at a young age too . How wonderful that this poem got published- even if writing wasn't your dream- yet! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you write poetry too, in addition to your fun puzzles that I never can solve. I'm looking forward to your book next year. As for my poem, it means more to me now than it did when I was thirteen. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your poem, Beverly. A 'late' congratulations on getting it published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Janet. And thanks for the late congratulations. This just proves that what we do in school stays with us forever. :)

      Delete