Monday, March 31, 2014

SHARP WRIT BOOK AWARDS WINNER

Welcome Monday and the last day of March. Hopefully winter is gone and spring with baby birds and rabbits and wildflowers will replace the cold and snow. I have some great news today. I've been waiting for an official notification, but can wait no longer. Patience is not one of my virtues. The winners of the 2013 Sharp Writ Book Awards are listed on their blog. You can see all of them here. Scroll down to the very bottom where it says Young Adult and you'll see CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES. That's me, folks, and I am so excited.



Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is the story of Elizabeth (Lizzie) Stamford and her family's daily struggle to survive a changing way of life during the American Civil War. This is a story of fear, courage, and understanding that people, no matter where they live, have the same needs: love, peace, and security.






Since I'm on the theme of history, here's my review of a great Civil War novel, SHADES OF GRAY, by Jessica James.

Move over, Rhett Butler and Scarlett O’Hara. You’ve met your match. Captain Alexander Hunter, Confederate officer, is brave and daring, as well as handsome. Andrea Evans, Union sympathizer, is headstrong and impulsive, and like a chameleon changes her identity to suit the situation. When North meets South sparks are bound to fly, not only on the battlefield, but also in the lives of a man and woman that will do anything for the cause they believe in.

SHADES OF GRAY, the award winning historical novel by Author Jessica James, is set in Virginia during the American Civil War. Andrea plays many roles in the story: a boy that delivers dispatches for the Union, a guide, and a Southern Belle to name a few. Captain Alexander Hunter is a fearless leader, respected by his men. Both characters believe deeply in their cause and will defend their beliefs until death if necessary. Jessica James shows the personal side of the characters and how families are torn apart in a war that will scar our nation for years to come. The battle scenes are so vivid I felt as though I were in the middle of the action, hearing the cries of pain, witnessing the blood and the dying men. The story contains beautiful moments too. When Alexander and Andrea can stop arguing enough, they realize they’re falling in love, something I’d been telling them all along.

The American Civil War is my favorite era in history, and I have a whole library of books about the war. I am pleased to add another great novel to my collection. The only thing I disliked about the book was the ending, not because it wasn’t beautifully written. It was. I also understand why it ended the way it did. And that’s all I’m saying because I don’t want to give anything away. Other readers may love the ending. However, I am happy to hear that Noble Cause … well, my lips are sealed. I’m reading it next. Ms. James has written another great story dealing with the history of America. Let’s hope we’ve learned our lesson from the past.

###

Jessica's and my books are available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and most places where books are found. The eBook of Caves is only $2.95.

Happy Reading.
   

14 comments:

  1. I am jumping up and down with joy for you and CAVES. This is one of my favorites of your books and it so deserves winning! Yippee, my friend, and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darby. Your friendship and support means so much to me.

      Delete
  2. So excited for you. I think you know what a fan I am of CAVES, so it isn't a huge surprise to hear it won another award, but it is SO MUCH FUN for you. Keep up the good work, Beverly. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kai. You know how much I struggle with my writing and this encourages me not to give up.

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Beverly! That's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Bev! As for me, I'm really interested in the 20s and 30s, and I'm starting to write a novel set in 1933.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. The 20s and 30s are interesting eras too. My forthcoming MG novel is set in the 1920s. It's so much fun to research the time period. Good luck with your novel.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Beverly! A well deserved honor. And, thanks for letting us know about Shades of Gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. Shades of Gray is a good novel for history fans.

      Delete
  6. What a great piece of news, Beverly. All my best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, C Lee. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

      Delete
  7. Huge congrats on the award! While researching, I came across a lot of places haunted by Civil War ghosties. It was a dreadful time. Excellent review, Beverly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Civil War was a bad period in our history, Lexa. I have several books about ghosts during that time and other times too. For some reason, ghost stories fascinate me. :) Thanks.

      Delete