Monday, March 24, 2014

REVIEW SHADES OF VIRTUE BY JACK WHITSEL

I am delighted to start this week with a review of Award Winning Author Jack Whitsel's latest novel SHADES OF VIRTUE, the second book in his DRAGON RISING SERIES.
 
This is a really intriguing cover, don't you think? Makes you wonder who these girls are and what their story is. (I know.)
 
 
SHADES OF VIRTUE Review
By Jack Whitsel
 
Take knights in shining armor and a joust to marry a lovely lady, weave in deceit, treachery, and magic, and you end up with an adventure to keep you guessing who are the good guys and who are the bad. You’ll also wonder who will be the winners, not only of the joust, but of life itself.
 
Author Jack Whitsel’s latest novel, SHADES OF VIRTUE, the second book in the DRAGON RISING SERIES, takes the reader back to the days of old where battles and tournaments often determined the future of a country. Even today, nations rise and fall as the result of wars between different factions. The story has a lot of characters to keep up with, and I discovered that making a list of who was who and their goals helped me keep them straightened out. My favorite part of the story is the jousting, where the knights on their horses give their all, sometimes even their lives, to win the hand of the beautiful Lady Basina. I don’t want to give anything away, but I have my favorite and cheered him on, hoping he would be victorious. I’m not saying whether he was successful or not. That's for you to discover. Treachery waits on the sidelines, however, and the outcome of the tournament is in doubt until the end.
 
Jack Whitsel has created evil characters that will do anything to achieve their goals. He also molded characters with good qualities that made me love them. Other characters are caught up in a world they want to escape, but have little hope of doing so, and I wished better lives for them. The author describes each scene in such detail that the reader feels like a part of the action. A warning: some scenes are quite graphic, with gory details and lots of blood. Be prepared.
 
That said, pick up a copy of SHADES OF VIRTUE and visit the fantasy world of knights and ladies and adventure. You’ll be glad you did.
 
The author provided me an e book copy for my honest review.
 
###   

 
 
About the author:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jack Whitsel is an award winning author from Portland, Oregon. His favorite genres are fantasy and historical fiction with a medieval emphasis. Shades of Virtue is the second installment of the Dragon Rising series.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Twitter
 
Official Site
 
My blog
 
Publisher
 
 
Happy Reading. 
 


12 comments:

  1. Graphic never bothered me, great review too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat. I'm a bit squeamish, but reading the violent scenes isn't nearly as bad as watching them on TV or a DVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely an interesting cover. My eyes were drawn to the figure in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of interesting characters in the story, Kelly. Some very mysterious.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Beverly for being a part of the tour! And thanks Beverly and Pat for joining. I hope you enjoy Shades of Virtue.

      Delete
  4. I admit to being one of those people who dressed in a costume to go to Medieval Fairs (in my youth). Congrats to Jack! It's a lovely cover, and I wish him much success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fact that the cover seems to be telling a story.

    Thanks for following my blog! I know you did a while ago, but I've had a bit of a tough time with keeping up with the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, Misha, a good cover should tell something about the story, and this one does.

      Keeping up with the blogging world is almost impossible. There are so many great blogs to visit and people to meet. Hang in there. Enjoy the fun.

      Delete