Monday, February 3, 2014

MY WRITING PROCESS

Welcome to February, the month of romance and hopefully good things in each of your lives. I'd like to thank Melanie Robertson-King,  my dear friend and fellow author at 4RV Publishing for tagging me for the "My Writing Process Blog Hop." 
 
So here we go.

Step 1: Acknowledge the person and the blog site that invited you to take part.  http://www.melanierobertson-king.com/wp02/

Step 2: Answer four questions about your writing process.

1)      What am I working on?
I'm working on a possible sequel to A PIRATE, A BLOCKADE RUNNER, AND A CAT. I'm also writing a rough draft of a ya historical novel, tentatively titled OVER THE MOUNTAIN, as well as considering revisions for PRINCESS BREEZE and editing a mg historical, A FAMILY FOR LEONA.

2)       How does my work differ from others of its genre?

 I try to add a surprise or twist even to historical work, so my stories will be original. 

3)       Why do I write what I do?

When I was teaching, I read Newbery books with my students and discovered how good books for kids were. Then little voices and teen voices sometimes whispered in my ears, telling me their stories. How could I ignore them?
4)       How does your writing process work?
 
I have an idea. I jot down notes and get acquainted with the characters by interviews, profile sheets, story boarding so I'll know what they look like. I try to write every day except Sunday. Mornings are my best times. I don't outline, but just start writing. I usually have an idea of the ending. Sometimes it changes. The first draft takes me forever because I correct as I go along, knowing I shouldn't but can't help myself.
 
### 
Next week visit Kai Strand and learn about her Writing Process.

 Kai Strand crafts fiction for kids and teens to provide an escape hatch from their reality. A wife and mother of four, she loves pizza, is a compulsive walker, and a Mozart fangirl. http://kaistrand.blogspot.com/

 




6 comments:

  1. Writing, revisions, and editing? I would confuse myself. I admire anyone who can work on multiple projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I live in a world of confusion, Alex. My brain jumps from one idea to another. Maybe if I stayed with one project at a time, it wouldn't take me so long to finish a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are working on a lot of books at once. I'm editing for myself and clients. I've been itching to write a new book, but I have too many edits on my plate at the moment, so I'm just plotting when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those edits do take up a lot of time, Kelly. Each minute of the day is precious. There just aren't enough of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Beverly. It's great to learn about what you are currently working on. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Susanne. It is fun to hear about other's work. Makes me feel lazy sometimes. Have a great day, too.

    ReplyDelete