Monday, February 24, 2014

GIDEON'S SPEAR BY DARBY KARCHUT REVIEW

My favorite boys, Finn and Gideon, are back. What a great way to start a new week. (Griffin's my favorite too and I'm allowed to have as many favorites as I want.) So let's see what's happening in GIDEON'S SPEAR, Award Winning Author Darby Karchut's latest novel for MG/Tween readers.
 
 
Isn't this a fabulous cover? It draws you into the story and I wanted to know why the boy is running. When I read the book, I found out the answer.
 
My Review:
 
Being a thirteen-year-old boy is tough enough. Being the thirteen-year-old Spear of the Tuatha De Danaan and apprentice to a Knight, with monsters and a witch after you, is challenging to even the bravest young teen.
Author Darby Karchut has written another winner. After reading FINN FINNEGAN, BOOK ONE OF THE ADVENTURES OF FINN MACCULLEN, I didn’t think the series could get any better. I was wrong. GIDEON’S SPEAR, the second book in the series, continues the story of Finn MacCullen and Gideon Lir, the awesome duo I met in book one. Sometimes Finn is just a boy. He makes mistakes. He tests his Knight’s patience. He gets into trouble. Other times he fights a witch and the Amandan creatures, alongside his master, Gideon, with bravery and amazing skills for so young a warrior. What I love most about these novels is the relationship between Finn and Gideon. It’s more than a mentor, apprentice relationship. In addition to teaching Finn the skills of a brave warrior, Gideon also shows Finn the need for good manners and respect of others, the way a father guides his son. Finn reacts the way any teen boy would react, sometimes with anger or resentment, still knowing Gideon is right.
In GIDEON’S SPEAR, secrets are revealed. Neighbors are not always what they seem. And life is never dull for Finn and those around him. Darby Karchut has given each character his/her distinct personality. Mac Roth, Gideon’s oldest friend, is the kind of friend everyone should have, and also one of my favorite characters.
Each scene is written with such detail it makes the reader feel like you’re there, fighting the monsters with Finn and Gideon, or at the house while they’re training, or with the neighbor twins and their family. Author’s notes at the end of the story explain the source of many of the names and terms used in the novel. The reader also gets a peek at the third book in the series, THE HOUND AT THE GATE. It looks like another winner. If only we didn’t have to wait a year to read the whole story. Every middle school library and classroom should have copies of Gideon’s Spear. The novel would also be popular in high schools, I think. So now we wait to see where Finn and Gideon take us next. A very nice novel, Ms. Karchut. Thank you.
###
 GIDEON'S SPEAR is available in e book and print.
 
 
 
And other stores.
 
About Darby Karchut
 
 
Darby Karchut is an award-winning author, teacher, and compulsive dawn greeter. She's been known to run in blizzards and bike in lightning storms. When not dodging death by Colorado, Darby writes urban fantasy for tweens, teens, and adults.
 
Happy Reading

 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I still have the first book in the series sitting on my shelf. I'm so far behind in my reading.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a terrific review, Bev! Thank you so much for your steadfast support of the boys! And I have to admit that Mac Roth is one of my favorite characters, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thrilled Darby has a new book out, and I'm not surprised that it's awesome! She's such a sweetie and deserves all the success she gets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Kelly. I'll never catch up on my reading. Life is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read about our heroes again, Darby. Gideon is a terrific novel. Yeah, I really like Mac. Maybe he should have his own book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the first book! Thrilled for Darby that Finn is still plugging away. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a cool cover. Shame there weren't more books like this when I was that age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Sheri. Darby's books are so good. Her characters are just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, Alex, I wasn't a reader when I was a kid. Maybe there just weren't the right kind of books that appealed to me. Never thought of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful review! BTW, I love your picture with all your books around you. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you ew. Gideon is a wonderful book.

    Haha. Yeah, I'm having fun with my books. This was a craft show our library had, raising money for the library.

    ReplyDelete