Friday, January 17, 2014

FUN FRIDAY FRIENDS

It's Fun Friday again. I hope you're having fun. My fun this week was receiving a phone call from my best friend of years ago. We attended Zundy Junior High School and Wichita Falls High School together. We were in the band and were majorettes together. My friend went on vacations with my family, to the Texas Gulf Coast and New Mexico's mountains. We rode our bicycles all over town. We gathered up tadpoles and took them home with us. (I don't know why, but the little creatures fascinated us.) Sleepovers at each other's houses where we talked all night long were so much fun. Slumber parties with our other friends where we talked, mostly about boys, kept us awake all night.

My friend always called me during the holidays to wish me a Merry Christmas. And then we talked on the phone the next year. The call this week surprised and delighted me. I had sent her a copy of one of my books, since she enjoyed reading. The call was to thank me and tell me how much she liked the story. What she liked most was my picture at the back. She said I looked so much like my dad. I consider that a compliment.

When I think about it, I sometimes wonder what my friends from fifty-plus years ago look like today. (Yes, it's been that long since we were students.) I look at the school yearbooks now and try to imagine my friends today. I know they've changed. I have. But inside, they're still the same: my friends.

Do you keep in touch with your schooldays friends?

Happy Reading.

4 comments:

  1. I have only a couple I've kept up with since high school. Most of my friends have taken very different paths than me and we don't have a lot in common anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right, Alex. Kids change and move away, but I enjoy the memories. Guess I've never quite grown up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep in touch with a few friends. They've changed so much, but in my heart, they're still beautiful teens. I love your new header! Great pic of all those books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too, Lexa. I remember old friends the way they were. Love to look through the year books and think of the things we did.

    Glad you like the header. I needed a change and didn't know which books to showcase so did them all. :)

    ReplyDelete