Friday, September 13, 2013

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH!

The Number Thirteen
 
Why is it bad luck?
 
Here's what author and psychology professor Stuart Vyse has to say.
 
"At the Last Supper in Christian theology, there were 13 dinner guests, so that number is unlucky because Christ was betrayed. ... And in Norse mythology, 12 benevolent gods were gathering in a hall and the evil god Loki attacked the group. Loki was the 13th guest, and the god Balder was killed."

"President Franklin D. Roosevelt was  fearful of the number 13, and he took great pains to avoid hosting a meal for a group of that size."

So do you have superstitions? Black cat, opened umbrella in the house, April Fool's Day?

Will you not walk under a ladder?

Do you carry a rabbit's foot for good luck?

Why is breaking a mirror unlucky?

Do you throw salt over your shoulder?

Tell us your thoughts.

Happy thirteenth!



4 comments:

  1. I don't believe 13 is unlucky, and don't worry about the superstitions you mentioned. But I have to admit, I do one weird thing - when I'm out walking with a close friend and we're forced to separate to walk around something, I say, "Bread and butter." It's supposed to ensure you and your friend stay close and don't have a disagreement. Silly, I know, but friendship means a lot to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I had forgotten that one, Lexa. I used to do the same thing. It's not silly because our friends are an important part of our lives.

    I'm not really superstitious either, but will drive a different direction if a black cat crosses my path. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished drafting a sequel yesterday, so Friday the 13th was good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So we can call yours "Good Friday," Kelly. Or "Lucky Thirteen."
    I like. :)

    ReplyDelete