Monday, June 10, 2013

RUNNING INTO THE DARKNESS TOUR


Today, I have the pleasure of hosting Author D. A. Bale on her Virtual Book Tour for her novel RUNNING INTO THE DARKNESS.

Running into the Darkness Book Summary
Death follows Dr. Samantha Bartlett throughout her life until it claims everyone close to her. There's one powerful man responsible on whom Samantha sets her sights for revenge. The price is her soul. For centuries, sex has been the weapon of men...now it's her turn.

“I never intended to kill the President. As a doctor, I swore an oath to protect life – not take it. But that was before...”

Second year resident, Dr. Samantha Bartlett, is swept from the frigid New York winter to once again confront the sting of death back home – and face those she left behind. But she’s not alone. A strange man she dubs Shades haunts her every step as she seeks answers to the inferno which claimed her grandmother, an eerie reminder of her parents’ deaths. The secrets Samantha uncovers forever changes her image of those she only thought she knew.

Confronted by Shades, Samantha joins a secret underworld known only as the Elite, where a web of power and control is woven deep within governments worldwide. Their sights are set on the power structure of the United States, and Samantha becomes the unlikely key to infiltrating the White House at its most intimate levels.

The quest for blood threatens to destroy Samantha. From the darkness there is no escape.

 
Ohh! Don't you love the cover? So mysterious.
 
D. A. Bale was kind enough to answer some questions for me.
 
 
Bev: Hi, DA. Welcome to my blog. Please tell us about yourself and how you became a writer.





D A: Thanks, Bev, for hosting me on your blog today. A bit about me, a bit about me. Well, I spent over twenty years in various areas of the banking industry, traveling around the country, working with government agencies like the SBA, USDA and various congressional offices. It was quite an eye opener for how government REALLY works. J I also saw what money and power can do to people, how people would be willing to sell out their own mother for a grasp at another step up the ladder – you name it. After so many years, I grew quite jaded by it all. But it also afforded me the chance to see so many interesting places and meet some really wonderful people along the way. I treasure many of the friendships created during those years and have fond memories I keep close.

From the time I was a little girl, I loved to read just about anything I could get my hands on and desired to be an author when I grew up. My teachers always commented about how descriptive my writing was, and I flourished under their praise. But it wasn’t until I went through some really hard times as an adult that writing came back to mind. It helped me deal with the overwhelming circumstances assaulting me from every angle. Writing can be a real catharsis. That’s why I have no trouble putting my characters through some really difficult things themselves. Reality stinks sometimes! Tragedy draws people together or tears them apart, and I like to explore what it is in people that create the different responses.

Bev: Twitter your newest release in 140 characters or less.





D A: Oh gosh, I’m so terrible with Twitter! Okay, let me see what I can come up with for Running into the Darkness – “Do any of us know the depravity we’re truly capable of? What if someone killed those you love most? How far would YOU go to exact vengeance?”

How’s that?

Bev: You did a great job, D. A. How did you come up with the idea for your latest book and were there any glitches along the way?





D A: When aren’t there glitches? Oh yeah! The idea for the book really came together over a period of time as I was exploring this whole idea of why difficult circumstances cause one person to fall off a cliff and another to rise above them. So many people seem to get into a mindset that because they’ve done these terrible things or terrible things have been done to them, they aren’t worth rescuing, redeeming, loving, whatever. They eventually become warped and twisted, doing things they would NEVER have imagined. Others may fall down for awhile but then something happens or someone comes into their life to help them pick up the pieces and put their life back together. Then sometimes these people end up accomplishing things absolutely amazing, things that help others from sliding down the slippery slope. That’s in essence where this series came from – asking the question of “how far is too far” or is there even a “too far”. I don’t believe there is a “too far” where people can’t turn back around and make something positive out of the chaos. But most of the time it takes someone to hold our hand along the trudge back out of the darkness. Running into the Darkness is pretty much what it says – it’s the story of how Dr. Samantha Bartlett finds herself at a crossroads and makes a decision that takes her down a dark path. And let me tell you – it gets pretty dark at times.

Bev: If we peeked inside your closet, what would we see?





D A: A mess!!! It’s pretty sad. I used to be kinda anal about organizing my closet and keeping things really neat. Dresses and suits were in one section, dress shirts here, dress pants there, casual in another, and grubbies tucked out of the way. The past – oh – maybe two years, things have gotten completely out of hand. My shoes usually get tossed in there willy-nilly (if they even make it to the closet) and my dress, casual, and grubbies are rather jumbled together. I don’t get the chance very often anymore to wear my pretty suits and dresses, which I miss. But casual is kinda nice too!

Bev: Tell us your favorites:



Movie:
Only one? Can’t do that – the extended editions of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and…hmm…probably “Red”.

Actor: Also a toughie ‘cause there’s so many good ones! Depends but probably Karl Urban or Bruce Willis (they were great together in “Red”). Bruce Willis is just so…well, Bruce Willis. I enjoy watching him kick the pants off the bad guys, all the while with a tongue-in-cheek, self-deprecating humor and sharp wit that cracks me up. Karl Urban is sooo versatile in his performances. In the LOTR’s extended version, there’s a scene where he finds his sister, Eowyn, near dead on the battlefield. Up to that point, he’s been the quiet, tough, outcast soldier that good depends on. When he sees his sister, he falls apart completely with a cry that tears through your soul. Then they show him sitting by her in the halls of healing, looking like a lost child waiting for even a scrap of hope. Why they had to cut that from the original theatrical release is a travesty.

Actress: This is so bad, but there really hasn’t been a mainstream actress out there in a long time that makes me want to go to a movie because she’s in it. The closest thing right now would probably be Helen Mirren.

Book: Now this one is pretty easy. Jane Eyre has been my favorite book for God knows how long. The growth we see in Jane through the years, from a sad, mistreated orphan girl who has to fight for even the tiniest morsel of a corner in the world, to a quiet and unassuming governess, to a woman who isn’t afraid to do what’s right no matter what – I just absolutely love the strength of character we see in Jane. I try to read it about once a year. She’s rather my heroine. J

Singer or Group: Skillet! Yes, I’m a pan-head.

Bev: Coffee or tea?





D A: Definitely a coffee girl. I’m not human until I’ve had at least two cups of coffee in the morning (milk, two sugars). If they could ever figure out how to administer it intravenously before getting out of bed, I’d do that. Then again, I’ve really come to enjoy the taste.

Bev: Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter?





D A: I’m a fall/winter girl (though I love the flowers of spring too, just not the humidity). If ever I could have a little summer place in Alaska, I’d escape there every year and just write. Hey, that’s funny! Most people are snow bunnies and escape the cold to get to Arizona or Florida during the winter. Yes, I guess that makes me the odd-ball – I go and look for winter during the summer. My mom always did say I was unique. J

Bev: If you could have super powers what would you wish for?





D A: The ability to see what’s really in someone’s head and heart – discern their thoughts and motivations. A lot of problems and misunderstandings could easily be resolved then, and a lot of trust would not so easily be misplaced.

Bev: If you could choose to live in another time, would you prefer the past or the future?





D A: Gotta go with the past on this one. Big history buff here! It would be fun to see if what has been written about the past is truly accurate. Plus, I’d love the chance to wear some of those gorgeous gowns, though the corsets would be a bear! Knowing my luck, I’d end up a poor wench instead of a noble lady.

Bev: Are you working on any new books now? Tell us about them.





D A: You betcha! A couple of things actually. I’ve been working on a fan requested sequel to my short story, The Study, but since it’s not coming together the way I’d like, it’s been placed on the back burner for now so I can more fully get into the third and final book of the Deepest Darkness series, Rising from the Darkness. There’s so many elements to tie up in this final book I don’t want to rush it, so I don’t have a firm period on when it will be released – probably sometime in 2014. Then there are several other books in various forms that I’m just dying to plunge back into when the opportunity allows. One is an historical/paranormal book, another is a fantasy/suspense, and there’s another thriller that I started a few years ago and then got caught up in RITD. I think there’s probably nine or ten other books on my hard drive, just waiting for the time to complete them. When that will happen is still a mystery to me – “SIGH”

Bev: Would you like to share anything else with your fans?





D A: I am deeply honored you’ve chosen to read my work – and you actually enjoy it! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I’d love to hear directly from more fans if ever you’d like to contact me at dabalepublishing@att.net. I will do my best to respond to each of you personally.

Thanks again, Bev, for the great interview questions during my Tribute Books blog tour. It has been a pleasure meeting you and your readers.

Bev: Thank you, D A, for taking time out of your busy day to visit with us. Stop by anytime.


 
 
D A Bale's Bio:


Sometimes life emulates fiction.

Life is filled with tragedy and Ms. Bale's writing reflects this reality. However, there is always a silver lining...even if one must spend their entire life searching for it.

In her previous career, Ms. Bale traveled the United States as a Government Relations Liaison, working closely with Congressional offices and various government agencies. This experience afforded her a glimpse into the sometimes "not so pretty" reality of the political sphere. Much of this reality and various locations throughout her travels make it into her writing.

She dreams of the day she can return to visit Alaska.

###

Places where you can learn more about D. A. Bale and her book:

D A Bale's Web Site/Blog:
http://dabalepublishing.blogspot.com/

D A Bale's
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/D-A-Bale/181244371959801

D A Bale's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DABale1

D A Bale's Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5315256.D_A_Bale

Running into the Darkness' Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13012298-running-into-the-darkness


Tribute Books Blog Tours Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tribute-Books-Blog-Tours/242431245775186

Running into the Darkness
's blog tour site:
http://runningintothedarkness.blogspot.com/
 
Price/Format: $1.99 ebook
Pages: 236
Publisher: self-published
Release: November 3, 2011

Kindle buy link ($1.99):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063HIS26?tag=tributebooks-20

Nook buy link ($1.99):
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/running-into-the-darkness-d-a-bale/1107516247?ean=2940032854623

Smashwords ($1.99):
http://www.smashwords.com/b/98766?ref=tributebooks

The blog tour's official site is:
http://runningintothedarkness.blogspot.com/

And don't forget to enter her contest:
 



Rafflecopter GIVEAWAY HTML embed code ($25 Amazon gift card or PayPal cash): a Rafflecopter giveaway

14 comments:

  1. Beverly, you're always such a champion of indie writers. Your support of D A during her blog tour is no exception. THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, Nicole. I enjoy hosting other authors and learning about them and their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beverly - thank you for hosting this leg of my Tribute Books blog tour. This is actually the first interview of the tour and you made it so much fun! I hope your readers enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, D A. We've had 44 viewers of your post so far. So even though we have no comments, yet, readers are taking a look.

    Your answers to the interview are great and fun. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was alot of fun for me too. And 44 viewers so far? Wow! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading DA's interview. I know just what she means by some "damaged" characters don't feel as if they're worthy of love. That's exactly the way the mc in my book feels.
    Wishing DA huge success with her new book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good novel premise! Working for various government agencies is certainly a great way to gather research and brainstorm plot ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lexa - thanks for the well-wishes! It's sad, but the "damaged" also comes in droves from real life too. Makes me think of "All we need is love". :-)

    Catherine - thanks for commenting! Yes, real life sometimes is the best research material. :-)

    Happy reading everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd inject coffee into my veins, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly - I keep trying to get my son to invent something, but it doesn't seem to be high on his priority list. Thanks for stopping by on my tour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lexa, Catherine, and Kelly. Thanks for stopping by. Me too on the coffee, though only in the morning. Iced tea for me the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beverly, what a great interview. DA love the premise of your book and wish you luck with it. But, I think the Gods have already favored you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, EW! I'm beginning to feel He has too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you EW. And what great answers D A has.

    ReplyDelete